How do I merge duplicates?

Comments

• mrtsherman
    mrtsherman
    Community Member

I'd also like to see a merge feature. The proliferation of 'Reused Passwords' probably occurs as follows:

1. Go to domain app.com/login.php
    2. Generate and save your username/password
    3. app.com decides the login page should be app.com/login.html
    4. 1Password is smart enough to autofill the password based on doman, but then prompts to save for this 'new' web address. It then creates a new entry instead of adding it under the existing entry as an additional website

I now have 66 duplicated passwords, mostly for the same sight and it's really annoying to edit one, copy the url out, enter in one of the entries, and then delete the dup.

I'd actually prefer it if the web addresses always defaulted to a top-level domain instead of the full login URL.

• That actually shouldn't happen that way, @mrtsherman. While the URL 1Password saved for a given Login item may include a fair bit more than the TLD, it should skip saving a new Login when you fill an existing one, irrespective of what exact URL you're filling on. This is something of an oversimplification, but in essence 1Password only cares about the TLD.

Now, where this can still bite you is when you sign up on TLD-A and sign in on TLD-B and copy/paste when the proper Login isn't suggested. Or any other scenario where you're signing in on a different TLD than what was saved and choose that copy/paste route. I run into this a fair bit myself with my Microsoft account since it's used across myriad services many of which don't have the same TLD that was originally associated with my Login item. I'm also impatient sometimes so I copy/paste rather than updating my Login item like I should. And, of course, allowing 1Password to save things is reflex at this point so I've duped myself a few times. Interestingly enough, that's one reason that just saving the TLD isn't a great solution here. You'd find yourself in the same situation in the above scenario, TLD only or not.

With that said, I'd be curious how you did end up with these duplicates. As I mentioned, 1Password should never save something it filled. It knows that Login item already exists and nothing has changes so it has no cause to save and doesn't care about the exact URL. Are all of these duplicates using the same TLD? Are they perhaps in different vaults or accounts? Maybe saved on different devices that weren't syncing properly? While a duplicate merge tool would be most excellent, I think the better solution for you is to figure out why this is happening. By my read, it shouldn't be, which means we should be able to fix it. :+1:

• Mikrdk
    Mikrdk
    Community Member

Please prioritize merge feature. Been requested by many people over the years. Just look at Google merge contacts feature (select what to keep in a side-by-side view). I don't see any reason why this shouldn't be possible with 1Password. It's tiring reading about theoretical excuses that usually derives from wrong assumptions about what is asked.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for your feedback on this as well @Mikrdk! :+1:

• joolsc
    joolsc
    Community Member

Just created a new community account so I could add my comment which hopefully you can pass on...

The likes of company.com / my.company.com / login.company.com often seem to create multiple entries and a simple way to aggregate these would be really attractive.
    This is further by the fact that I've installed 1Password so I don't have to manage passwords in Chrome / Edge / Safari / MS Excel / OneDrive Personal Vault / ... and merging those sources has generated around 600 duplicates in my 1Password vault.

Amusingly, a perfect additional example of this requirement cropped up whilst posting this comment. I registered using one email account and never received a confirmation email. I then registered successfully using a different email account. 1Password offered me "Update Saved Login" which overwrote the first userid/password pair or "Save New Login" which created a new item in the vault (and not a new entry in the existing item).

TL;DR: As a new user, I instinctively multi-selected a pair of accounts and was disappointed not to find a "merge" option on the context menu.

• ianeiloart
    ianeiloart
    Community Member

Just a quick "me, three" or is it four?

At minimum, I'd like to be able to mark two records as "sharing" a password. I have a UK university account, with Gmail: so I use the same password at gmail.com and york.ac.uk, but with different usernames (the domain isn't required at york.ac.uk).

Lots of services (academic journals, for example) use shibboleth authentication against my University credentials. A myriad of redirects occur, and credentials show up as reused passwords in various places. I'd like to be able to just select a pair, or larger set of records and acknowledge that the passwords are meant to be shared.

In some cases, it would be useful to merge records with shared passwords. For example, one has a username, another a web URL, and a third has a software license key. Perhaps virtual merging, would be nice, so that records can be unmerged if necessary.

One more request: when I'm managing the list of records with reused passwords, I might delete one of a pair of records. It would be nice if the other one could hang about in the list until I'm done managing that list. Of course, I don't want it to re-appear when I next check the list, but I'd like to be able - perhaps - to edit the remaining record without having to go hunt it down. For example, I may have copied a field out of the deleted record.

• lmanor
    lmanor
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

I would just like to chime in and agree with the other customers. I have a very similar situation to ianeiloart. My university uses a one-log-in system, which means there are many different sub-domains and wifi settings that MUST use the same password. Usually, the username remains the same, but not always (e.g. for wifi I have to use the username "anonymous"). The way this has gone in 1p, is that there is a separate entry for each one. I could go through and manually add the different addresses, but I keep coming across new ones every few months as I am at a large university and there are so many different things to log into. It's not a huuuge deal, but it does make using the watchtower frustrating, and as such, I have mostly ignored the watchtower ever since I started at this university. Additionally, I decided only to post on this after seeing the response of the 1p staff, which I definitely read as unnecessarily dismissive.

• @spinoza

If you've already talked with our email support, it sounds like they did what they could. I'm sorry to hear that your duplicates remain and that we could not help you. The duplicate removal tool is still the best option. When it does not do the job, it's back to human interaction for that ultimate decision, to keep or purge.

• heaventwig
    heaventwig
    Community Member
    edited April 2021

+1 to the chorus of requests for a duplicate-merging feature.
    I'm a relatively new 1P user, on a one-person team plan, pitching it to my colleagues in a startup whenever one of us needs to use a login that someone else has the keys for. Also pitching the next level up, and also pitching my spouse, because hey I love your service.

My duplicates almost entirely come from importing passwords from Chrome and Keychain. Most of them can be spotted fairly quickly by searching for duplicated passwords, but sometimes they're just a vestigial record of an old login. Sometimes this was just a password change, but it also came about fairly often due to a change of username. This is clearly the sort of thing that 1P would track as history, whereas my prior password management systems just left the old one hanging around and created a new record. You might begin to see what I'm going to suggest.

I'd love to see a merge feature that took advantage of 1P's capacity for tracking the history of an item. Something where I can look at a pair of items and select which one is canonical, but also choose whether to save the non-canonical one as an historical record. (My interface imaginings have me seeing a side-by-side, clicking a little triangle on one of them to expand a list of historical entries, and then dragging the old one into place on the list. If I don't drag one item into place in the other's history list, I can't click the greyed out Commit Changes button... unless I click a checkbox indicating approval for deletion of the non-canonical item.)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @heaventwig! I am not a developer so I don't know how feasible this could be, but I can tell you that I have sent your suggestions to the rest of the team for consideration :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#78

• iBruno
    iBruno
    Community Member

+1 :p

If I'm not mistaken I'm 1Password customer since 2012.

The export passwords from macOS Keychain feature is coming on macOS Monterey.
    I'm trying the beta and after imported the passwords I have now 1421 reused passwords and most of them are duplicated url+usernames.

Please, priorize this merge feature, it will help us a lot.

• Thanks @iBruno. I've noticed too that iCloud Keychain seems to end up with a lot of duplicates in it. I believe their export feature exports to CSV. One thing that may help would be opening up that file with a spreadsheet editor (that isn't cloud based) and sorting by URL. That way you could relatively quickly delete out multiple entries that are for the same site.

Hopefully at some point we'll have the bandwidth to tackle a more comprehensive de-dupe function.

Ben

• Jaharmi
    Jaharmi
    Community Member
    edited July 2021

I imported my macOS keychain into 1Password many years ago. It was before 1Password cloud accounts. I have multiple entries for the same accounts from that, as there was a 1:1 relationship between domains and passwords.

Since then, I've also had extra 1Password entries for the same accounts. I would say these have come from:

1. Multiple domains use the same accounts
    2. Workflow here I use 1Password to generate a password for a site, gets saved as a Password item, I copy-paste to actually login (am not offered to use the Password item for Autofil), get asked to save as a Login

The main things I'd like to do with merging:
    1. Merge password history so I have a record of all changes from each item.
    2. Pick which item has the current password. Show how recently each password was set to help me pick.
    3. Merge all URLs.

I would probably be okay with almost everything else like tags and other fields coming from the item selected in #2. I usually have a main entry that I've actually been maintaining, with other entries that I care about less.

Update: I just encountered multiple entries for the forum account for this very forum:

• Login for forum.agile.ws, discussions.agilebits.com … I added 1Password.commnity
    • Password for agile.ws
  • Hey @Jaharmi

Thanks for sharing your experience and input here. While we don't have an automated way to do that at the moment I'll be happy to add your voice to a feature request for this.

Ben

• chmod700
    chmod700
    Community Member

Here's a situation that came up for me. Maybe you see a way around it.

I have a bank login. They added a field (other than username/password) called "client id". How do I add this to an existing entry? What I did: make a new entry with "Save login" after filling in username, password and new client id, thinking I could merge the two entries. Now, I have the original, with lots of info compared to the new one, and it appears (unless I'm wrong) I have to manually copy that data over.

• a632079
    a632079
    Community Member

Hello, @Ben .
    Has any plan to support " merge feature " ? Since the feature request committed, it was 3 years passed. I think it is neccessnary to implement it.
    Because of 1password 8 based on Electron, it is much easier to make it run everywhere(not need to impl more than one), right?
    If you do so, we would appreciate it.

A User, a632079

• ric_k
    ric_k
    Community Member

I've been a registered 1P user since at least 2009, and just moved to the subscription (version 7). Maybe in the transfer, or maybe before that, I now have 646 duplicate logins. Almost all 646 are the exactly the same in every way, except that the website is duplicated on one versus the other. I've tried manually deleting, but it seems like I have to go through one by one, then use a right-click mouse action to delete, then confirm the delete. This seems especially onerous when repeated 323 times. Is there a faster way? Thanks!

• chrshale
    chrshale
    Community Member

1password creates new entries every time I hit save even if the domain and password is identical to an existing one. This discussion about duplicates is almost 3 years old. Nothing changes.

• kyleobrien91
    kyleobrien91
    Community Member

+1 for this feature (if only this were open source so I could submit a PR :P). Due to my insistence on using 1000 browsers at differing stages of 1P integration, I've ended up with "partial" logins that are actually the same account on a site - just with the ability to use two identifiers - mobile and email, for example. I'll usually end up with multiple logins over time and I'd really like to just be able to

1. Cmd + click multiple logins
    2. Right click
    3. Merge Accounts
    4. Confirm changes
    5. Click done.

Yay :chuffed:

Anyway, please add my name to the chorus of eager fans for this feature.

• Hey @kyleobrien91:

Thanks for your feedback! I've added your thoughts to our internal issue on the subject.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-349

• dacay
    dacay
    Community Member

+1 for this feature.

I've been using a competitor for some time and recently started using 1P and I really liked it. But it is really hard to deal with duplicates. I have many Google accounts for different companies, etc. and they are all messy right now.

I am not suggesting duplicate detection, even if being able to select multiple items and merging all of their fields with the option of asking which to keep in conflict would be great!

Thanks.

• @dacay

I've added your vote to the feature request as well. Thank you for the feedback and welcome to 1Password! 😊

• Mikrdk
    Mikrdk
    Community Member

Multiple customers: I would really want a merge feature because I have XXX duplicates
    1Password: You shouldn't have gotten duplicates based on what you did, maybe use Excel?

world's biggest facepalm

• Hi @Mikrdk:

Thanks for your thoughts. While I can't promise anything specifically, I do hope we can make some improvements here in the future.

Jack

• 1Password 7 for Mac does have a tool to clean up duplicate items. To use it, you have to install 1Password version 7 and select a single vault at a time. The menu item is disabled if "All Vaults" is selected. The tool is under Help > Tools > Clean Up Duplicate Items.

• zackdarling
    zackdarling
    Community Member

Hello. I'm having issues with duplicates as well. My 1Password vault is riddled with them. Please work on a solution! Thanks.

• zackdarling
    zackdarling
    Community Member

I'm using 1Password 8 and wishing I stayed with 7.