[Feature Request] Simplify the UX between needing a password and having it on the clipboard

Options
pbodalia
pbodalia
Community Member

Love the overall 1Password system but getting to my password takes too many steps on the Android app.
The desktop mini-app with global keyboard shortcut that goes directly into search is amazing; aspirationally (from a ux perspective) I'd like something similar on Android.

Getting to 1Password on Android

• currently: have to go through my app launcher and find 1password
  • counter: 1Password has an on-screen keyboard (yes, but most users will have a preference for a keyboard already like swiftkey)
  • proposal: add 1password "tile" for quick access through the notifications drawer
  • proposal: change 1password keyboard ui to be a 1password interface rather than a keyboard with a 1p button

Getting to the password in 1Password

• when 1P launches and is authenticated, the user is taken to the "Favorites" tab. 95% of the time the password needed is not on this list, and I have to go through search. You can remove 1 step by having a search bar across the 1Password UI, and giving it focus immediately (again, to avoid a tap).

I think there's a few opportunities here, but personally I'd prioritize having a search bar across 1p, since that's the least subjective proposal and quickest way to drop 1 "step" in the overall user experience of getting to your password

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• pbodalia
    pbodalia
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

additional thoughts

Copy password to the clipboard

• currently, you have to open the "favorite" item, or open the search item
    • proposal: have a quick copy button on the list view item, the extra tap to open the item is definitely not needed here
  • ag_audrey
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hey @pbodalia, thanks for reaching out. 1Password is constantly looking to improve, so we're always happy to receive feature requests.

If you have Autofill and Accessibility turned on, then you should see the Autofill with 1Password prompt, meaning you won't need to go to the 1Password app, find the item, and copy the password. Can you go to 1Password > Settings > Autofill and make sure you have both turned on?

• pbodalia
    pbodalia
    Community Member
    Options

Oh, I've tried that feature also.
    Couldn't get it to work

Running Android 11 / Pixel 3XL

• ag_audrey
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hey @pbodalia, could you provide some more details please? Did the Autofill with 1Password prompt ever pop up, or did it just not pop up in specific apps or sites?

Enabling Autofill, Accessibility, and Autofill previews will negate the need to take all of the steps that you provided in the initial message: https://support.1password.com/android-filling/.

• pbodalia
    pbodalia
    Community Member
    Options

I got the autofill working in chrome but it's not working in other non-browser apps.

Also as feedback, I initially misunderstood the 1Password shortcut accessibility feature, I thought it would open the 1Password overlay but it seems to just toggle the accessibility feature.

• ag_audrey
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hey @pbodalia, thanks for turning on both Autofill and Accessibility! This should help minimize the number of steps you'll need to access your 1Password data when trying to sign in.

I got the autofill working in chrome but it's not working in other non-browser apps.

Turning on Autofill and Accessibility should work for most apps and sites. It's possible these specific apps don't support Autofill. Can you try long pressing and clicking Autofill from the Paste menu? If that doesn't work, can you tell me which apps you're experiencing trouble with?

I initially misunderstood the 1Password shortcut accessibility feature, I thought it would open the 1Password overlay but it seems to just toggle the accessibility feature.

Before Autofill was added in Android 8, and since Autofill isn't supported universally, we created our own Accessibility service to handle filling. Accessibility scans your screen looking for fields that we ourselves identify for filling. The idea is that Accessibility will fill in where Autofill isn't supported, meaning they do not replace each other but instead complement each other. This is why we recommend turning on Accessibility. Can you clarify if you're unable to turn it on?

• pbodalia
    pbodalia
    Community Member
    Options

I'm finding that most non-browser apps don't work
    A good example is GMail/Google Play Services when trying to add a new email account to your phone.

In that case, neither manually activating "Autofill" through the context menu in the text field,
    or hitting the "person" icon for accessibility, trigger 1Password autocompletion.

• @pbodalia, I'm sorry to hear most apps aren't working for you.

Autofill is very tricky, because we are not the only involved party. When Autofill doesn't work as expected, it can be due to how a browser or app is developed, due to their specific sign-in page and how it's coded, due to the Autofill service itself not detecting the fillable fields and letting us know, or due to us doing something incorrectly. This is why you may see different behaviours and issues in different apps and sites. When issues arise, we test them out and report them to our developers, so they can further investigate. That's why we really appreciate when you bring these filling issues to our attention.

Unfortunately, Gmail and Google Play Services are both known issues to us. I'll pass your feedback along to our developers.

If you notice any filling issues in other apps or browsers, please let us know.

ref: dev/android/onepassword-android#955

• pbodalia
    pbodalia
    Community Member
    Options

If there's a whole bunch of known issues and possibly no way to solve it all because of the diversity of app ecosystems, then I'd request you to reconsider my initial suggestions for in-app ux improvements.

• @pbodalia, I'm able to fill most apps and sites with Autofill and Accessibility, where I only need one or a couple taps in order to fill in my credentials. This is not only a quick and smooth process, but it also eliminates the need to go into the app, retrieve the username/password, copy the username/password, and then go back to paste the username/password. Instead of adding multiple new features, improving the current standardized Autofill feature appears to be the best way to move forward, and our developers are continuing to work hard in investigating the known apps or sites.

Of course, we will certainly consider your suggestions, and I'll be sure to pass your requests along to our development team.

In the meantime, if you experience other filling issues, I'd recommend using our drag and drop feature: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-android/#drag-and-drop-to-fill-in-other-apps.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help you with! :)

• pbodalia
    pbodalia
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_audrey

• You're very welcome, @pbodalia! We really appreciate your support and the time you've taken to reach out to us after brainstorming improvements.

Please continue enjoying 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.