1Password 6 Upgrade Problems

Hey Guys & Gals,
I would really appreciate your help. I’m a long time user and fan (2011) and have been wanting to upgrade to 1Password Families for the past year, but have been running into all kinds of problems.

I originally purchased a license (probably a family license) on 2/14/11 and upgraded to 1Password v 4? Family License on 3/28/14 Order # 8422729 (or it could be 81122729).

I’m currently running 1Password6 v. 6.8.9 and many months ago also downloaded v. 7. I intending to upgrade to 1Password Families. But I ran into multiple problems.

Couldn’t log into my account because I couldn’t figure out how to find my Secret Key. I couldn’t log in without the Secret Key. I wanted to print out all my passwords, but it seemed I needed to login to do so.

I now have both v 6 & 7 on my Mac and although I’ve figured out work arounds to do what I need to do, it’s quite messy.

I’m also about to upgrade from Mac OS Mojave (10.14.6) to Catalina (10.15), but hesitate until I sort out 1Password.

Please help me to:

1. Find my Secret Key and be able to login to my account.
  2. Be able to print out my 1Password data (in case anything goes wrong).
  3. I originally setup 1Password to store it’s data in my DropBox account and the way the DropBox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain file updates when I make a change in 1Password seems to indicate that that is still the case. Even though I keep current Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner backups, does it make sense to make an extra copy of this file someplace, while I’m dealing with cleaning things up?
  4. Pending your advice and suggested procedures, I think the simplest thing is for me to keep my 1Password data, but completely remove all 1Password apps (both versions 6 & 7) from my Mac and freshly install 1Password7 Families & then deal with upgrading my Mac OS from Mojave to Catalina.
  5. Suggest procedures and tips for 1Password when I’m upgrading from Mojave to a fresh install of Catalina.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

Mischul Brownstone

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.14.6
Sync Type: DropBox?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mischul!

Find my Secret Key and be able to login to my account.

Before I send you instructions on how to locate your Secret Key, can you confirm that you actually created your Families account already? Because from what you wrote, I am not sure you did, which would explain why you don't have a Secret Key yet.

• mischul
    mischul
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick reply. No, I haven't created a Families account yet. All I did was download 1Password 7.
    Should I go ahead and do that using the link in Dave Teare's 11/24/20 email where he says:

"Trade in your 1Password 6 or 1Password 7 standalone license today and you won’t pay a dime until September of next year. That’s 10 free months of 1Password for the entire family!

Upgrade your license to a 1Password Families account"

Mischul

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2020

Yes please. :) During the signup process you'll download your Emergency Kit which will contain your Secret Key. We would recommend printing the Emergency Kit, (optionally) writing in your Master Password, and storing it in a safe spot such as a fire safe or bank deposit box.

Ben

• mischul
    mischul
    Community Member

I decided to go ahead and "Upgrade your license to a 1Password Families account." The process asked me to choose a Master Password. I already have a Master Password for my 1Password6 license. If I choose a different password in the upgrade process, will I be conflicting with my current password?

• @mischul

It is fine to either use the same Master Password you're currently using (recommended) or pick a new one. If you do pick a new one I'd suggest writing them down and indicating which is which so there is no ambiguity. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.