Generate Password without saving it?

I work in IT and frequently use 1Password's Generate Password feature to create disposable temporary passwords for user accounts. When I generate these passwords 1Password dutifully creates a new database entry and ties the password to whatever website happens to be foremost, which is never the site I generated the password for. As an example, whenever I go to my Gmail account, 1Password shows up with literally hundreds of saved password for Gmail, since I usually generate temporary passwords in reply to an email. Is there any way to generate a password using 1Password but without it saving it as yet another login for my email (that will never work)? The Autosave feature (detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them) is disabled. Related to that, it would be nice if I didn't have to log in to 1Password to generate a new temporary password. At this point it feels like I shouldn't even be using 1Password for temporary password generation.

1Password Version: 7.6
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 11.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @essambk!

If you open 1Password and create a new Password item, you can access the password generator there. Once you have created the password, you can click on the Cancel button, and 1Password will ask you if you want to save or delete this item, to avoid cluttering your list:

So it sounds like you are following a different approach. Can you share with us the step by step instructions for the process you are following every time? Once we have this information, we can send you suggestions on which steps to change ;)

• zwass
    zwass
    Community Member

Same issue. I am using the "+ Generate Password" button on the mac toolbar and in the Firefox extension.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@zwass – Thanks for chiming in! I'd probably go the route Ana mentioned, if you're wanting to generate a new password without creating a new Password item. Another option is to use the password generator in the browser. It's not at all connected to the 1Password app, but it makes sense for this specific situation. I hope that helps. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.