What's the difference between a family member and a family organizer?

ReySanP
ReySanP
Community Member

I know a family organizer is an admin position with the most power in the family. I found the things they can do. What I can't find is what a family member can do.

Here's what I what I want to ask and I hope the answer is yes: Can a family member create a vault to which they can share with another family member but not with a family organizer? I want a family member to be able to create vault(s) that they can invite another family member but not with me as I am the family organizer.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ReySanP! Welcome to the forum!

Can a family member create a vault to which they can share with another family member but not with a family organizer?

Yes, when a family member creates a new vault, they can choose exactly who to share that vault with:

Create and share vaults

• ReySanP
    ReySanP
    Community Member

Thank you very much, ag_ana. I am really loving the usefulness of 1password. I spent many years being skeptical of the security of password managers and what I saw was just adding on another layer of complexity that could blow up if something goes wrong.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I am happy to hear that you are finding 1Password useful @ReySanP :)

I spent many years being skeptical of the security of password managers and what I saw was just adding on another layer of complexity that could blow up if something goes wrong.

May I ask what changed your mind? :)

• ReySanP
    ReySanP
    Community Member

Keeping track of a stable of passwords in my head which were combinations of word misspelled with extra and missing letters with special characters and numbers then keeping records of logins, usernames, and clues that point me to which word combination, special characters, and numbers I used as a password for that login was getting to be a lot of work and I still ended up using the same one for a couple. It was also difficult with infrequent logins to figure out from the clue what the full password was.

I recognized the multiple use even though limited was a vulnerability. Deciphering my password clue system was a chore for infrequent logins.

Another concern that went away after getting 1Password was realizing one of my nightmare scenarios of getting locked out is easily resolved by going through the site’s password reset process.

I love how I don’t have to type my passwords anymore and just let 1Password do it. I love how I don’t have to trust google with my credit cards which still needed me to keep track of security codes to complete the process.

I also learned I don’t have to trust 1Password completely for special logins. For those, when I set up the new random password from 1Password, I saved it in 1Password then before I confirm with the site, I add my own letter / number combination i keep in my head. That way, even 1Password doesn’t have the full password for those special sites.

• @ReySanP

Thank you for sharing. You sound like so many of us who have come here and stayed. :wink:

This discussion has been closed.