If I delete a team member's account, do I lose the passwords they created on shared vaults?

I suspended people, but as I am still being charged I need to delete their accounts. I do not want to lose the data they created on shared vaults, for example. I don't care about their personal vaults. Can I still keep the passwords they stored after I delete their accounts? If so, how? Is this automatic or do I need to do anything?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:delete team keep passwords

Comments

• giovannisbc
    giovannisbc
    Community Member

I suspended people, but as I am still being charged I need to delete their accounts. I do not want to lose the data they created on shared vaults, for example. I don't care about their personal vaults. Can I still keep the passwords they stored after I delete their accounts? If so, how? Is this automatic or do I need to do anything?

• Hi @giovannisbc

Thanks for taking the time to write in. Deleting the account that created items in shared vaults does not delete the items. It does delete that account's Personal vault and any items stored inside.

I hope that helps!

Ben

• robert_claypool
    robert_claypool
    Community Member

As a manager, I should not have the power to delete a co-worker's passwords and secure medical notes. When I join a GitHub team, that team admin cannot delete my personal repositories - vaults are sometimes equally important. Imagine if that user is holding cryptocurrency keys in the vault. I should not be able to delete them.

• Hi @robert_claypool!

I can definitely understand this concern of being able to delete a team member's account and data, and this is exactly why we recommend that team members using a company-provided account never store their personal data within it. Any data within a team member's Private vault should be exclusively related to their work, and we inform team members that they should treat the data they store within their work accounts essentially as their company's property.

This is one of the big reasons that we encourage all 1Password Business customers to take advantage of our free family account offer, as this allows for work and personal data to remain totally separated while still having the safety of a password manager for both purposes.

Get a free 1Password Families membership when you use 1Password Business

• robert_claypool
    robert_claypool
    Community Member

@ag_joshua,

I told our team that personal vaults are safe for personal use. Somehow I missed the guidance or got it mixed up with other services. It's not uncommon to have more than 200 online accounts these days -- hard to keep track of what will happen to the 30 or so that my employer pays for. Going forward, I would like a big red warning banner on personal vaults: "This vault is personal but still managed by your team admins. They can delete it at any time."

• @robert_claypool,

Thanks for passing over this feedback! I'll take some steps to brainstorm with the team on how we could potentially make this information a bit more clearer to the team members within 1Password team and business accounts.

To offer a bit more of an explanation, we would generally encourage any folks with 1Password accounts provided by their employer to treat those accounts similarly to how they'd treat their work-provided email addresses. In the same way that it's generally advised to not use a work email addresses for personal matters, we'd generally recommend the same for any work-provided 1Password accounts. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.