Chrome extension touch ID unlock?

nemanjahh
nemanjahh
Community Member
edited February 2021 in 1Password in the Browser

Hey guys,

is there a way to unlock 1Password Chrome extension with touch ID? I'm using my touch ID for desktop app and it works perfectly but in chrome extension I have to type my really long password every time, which is really annoying. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• nemanjahh
    nemanjahh
    Community Member

btw, I'm using latest update for 1Password app, also for extension, Chrome is running on latest version as well. Mojave is fresh too.

• nemanjahh
    nemanjahh
    Community Member

is there anyone who can answer my question?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@nemanjahh: Yes. But this is a support forum, not a chat room. And we try to reply to threads from oldest to newest, so when you keep replying to yourself, you're pushing yourself back up the the newest at the top. :blush:

We've supported Touch ID on macOS since day one in 1Password for Mac and its companion extension. This will take you through setting up and using that:

Use Touch ID to unlock 1Password on your Mac

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• luckyday
    luckyday
    Community Member

What the OP asked was about touch ID with the Chrome extension. I have the same question. Touch ID does not work with the Chrome extension for Mac as far as I can tell. Is this true? if not, how to activate?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2019

@luckyday - if you're using the "desktop app required" version of our 1Password extension for Chrome, then the extension and the main app will unlock simultaneously: unlocking one unlocks the other. My suspicion is that you may have installed 1Password X instead? If you visit chrome://extensions, what is the version number listed? It should be 4.7.x if you're using the "desktop app required" version. It will be 1.15.x if you're using 1Password X. Let me know what you discover. FYI, there is currently no way to unlock 1Password X with Touch ID, so if you want this feature, you'll need to use the standard extension.

• nemanjahh
    nemanjahh
    Community Member

Thanks @lars this solves the touch id issue

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@nemanjahh - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to assist. :)

• glittermom
    glittermom
    Community Member

I have the 1PasswordX installed in Chrome. Should I delete it and install the the desktop app required" version of our 1Password extension?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@glittermom:

If you want the browser extension to unlock automatically when you unlock the desktop app, then yes.

Alternatively, if you are more adventurous, you can use 1Password X Beta and activate Desktop App Integration, so the browser extension can follow the lock status of 1Password for Mac, like the traditional extension.

• glittermom
    glittermom
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_ana :)

• Henry
    Henry
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of ag_ana, you're welcome, @glittermom. More on Desktop App Integration here, currently in beta for 1Password X on Mac. It'll bring Touch ID support and more to 1Password X, so we're (understandably) quite excited about it. :)

• stewarty
    stewarty
    Community Member

Just to Chip in.

I had this issue as well, and this thread solved it.

Thank you!

• I'm glad to hear that this thread helped you out. :)

• ryin_hobs
    ryin_hobs
    Community Member

I installed 1Password X Beta on Chrome and Touch-ID doesn't work. It still prompts for a password. Touch-ID works fine in FireFox with the beta extension. Do I need to enabled another setting within the browser to enabled this?

• @ryin_hobs

Please quit 1Password completely, along with Chrome, and restart both.

1. Hold down the option key and click the 1Password icon on the right side of your macOS menu bar and select Quit 1Password Completely.
    2. Right-click on the Chrome icon in your dock and select Quit.
    3. Launch and unlock 1Password.
    4. Open Chrome.
  • ryin_hobs
    ryin_hobs
    Community Member

Thanks for the tip. Turns out I needed to install the 1Password Beta desktop app as well. It's working now.

Just funny how the Firefox extension didn't need the beta app, but Chrome extension did.

• Glad to hear your up and going. We are here if you need us.

• nzjoel
    nzjoel
    Community Member

@Lars Thank you! I had been frustrated by this for so long and now it's sorted.

• Thanks for the update @zjoel. :)

Ben

• zebsola
    zebsola
    Community Member

@ryin_hobs Was Touch ID feature removed from 1password X beta? I have 1PX beta 1.23.0, and 1P7 for Mac OS X 7.7.1.BETA-3 and I followed your instructions above to quit and restart everything, and still no Touch ID when using 1PX?

• ryin_hobs
    ryin_hobs
    Community Member

@zebsola Yes. It was removed back in August. You can read about it in this forum post: https://1password.community/discussion/115228/temporarily-removing-desktop-app-integration

• zebsola
    zebsola
    Community Member

@ryin_hobs Ah. Hopefully back by the end of the year still, then. Thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, our developers are working on it :)

• pducharme
    pducharme
    Community Member

@ag_ana Any update on this?? it was removed 6 months ago!! This is something I really miss.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Not yet @pducharme, but our developers are working on this :+1: We are all excited to see this feature back.

• matthewamundson
    matthewamundson
    Community Member

Hi team.

I'm using the 1Password supported Chrome extension and Touch ID never works for me. Regardless of whether I have the 1Password Mac app open or not, the chrome extension never asks for Touch ID, it always asks for the master password. I've tried both the standard and beta chrome extensions, but neither work.

What am I doing wrong?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@matthewamundson:

Touch ID integration was temporarily removed from 1Password in the browser while our developers work on replacing it with something that works even better. Please see this announcement here in the forum for all the details:

Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

If you want Touch ID integration, you can use the classic browser extension in the meantime:

Get the 1Password classic extension

• matthewamundson
    matthewamundson
    Community Member

Ah! Thanks, looking forward to the next update.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @matthewamundson :) Let us know if you have any more questions!

• griffitts
    griffitts
    Community Member

Is the classic extension still supposed to unlock with touch ID? I just installed it and it doesn't ask for a fingerprint.

This discussion has been closed.