Read-only mode for browser extension

Options

Hi,

I work for a company where we use a specific password manager and all other Chrome extensions are blocked to be installed. The reason behind is to prevent storing company related passwords in different password managers by accident (or at all). I myself use 1password as personal password safe and I would prefer to keep using it, so I was wondering if there is a way to disable saving passwords instead of disabling the whole extension.

Is there already a setting or registry key or any other way to do so? In case no an alternative version of 1Password X without the saving functionality would be the easiest for an enterprise to manage (due to the default deny and whitelisting approach of Chrome extensions). A switch to enable-disable saving passwords which is manageable centrally would be fine as well. Do you think it can be solved somehow?

Thanks in advance,
Tibor

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @tseager,

If "Disable saving password" means you don't want 1Password to ask for saving or updating a website automatically after signing in, yes, you can follow these steps to do that.

For Windows

Open the 1Password app => 1Password => Settings => Browsers => Autosave => make sure that you turn on the “Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them “ Option.

For Mac:

Open the 1Password app => Select 1Password 7 in the menu bar=> Preferences => Browsers => Autosave => make sure that you turn on the “Detect new usernames and passwords and offer to save them “ Option.

1Password X:

Right-click the 1Password X icon on your browser's toolbar > Settings > Autofill > Toggle off the switches.

Best regards.

• tsereg
    tsereg
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @nhat_1P,

thanks for your help. I'm aware of this option but unfortunately it is not enough, since the configuration depends on the user's decision. Is there a way to enforce this setting centrally for 1Password X? (Standalone application is not allowed to be installed for sure so they are out of my scope.)

Best regards,
    Tibor

• Hey @tsereg. It is not possible to turn off the ability to save items in 1Password X altogether. Even with the options Nhat mentioned, saving would still be possible via a right-click on the extension icon in your browser toolbar.

The only thing that comes to mind is that if you have a family account, you could invite yourself to the account as a guest and share a vault with yourself while giving yourself (the guest) permission only to view, not edit items in the vault. Guests can only have access to one vault at a time and do not have a private vault, so if the only vault you had access to could not be edited, then you would not be able to create data there, either. It's an extra layer of complexity, to be sure, and would mean keeping record of an additional Secret Key somewhere, but you could at least use the same Master Password, reducing the cognitive load a tad. :smile:

Michael

• tsereg
    tsereg
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_michaelc,
    thanks for the idea. Unfortunately it is still not an enterprise grade solution. Believe me, the problem is not on my side, I wouldn't store any company password into 1password accidentally. The problem is that I cannot ensure the security assurance team since they cannot control (nor detect) my setting, therefore they won't allow me to use the extension. That's why I asked for a read-only client.
    BR, Tibor

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tsereg – Michael's idea is quite creative! I didn't think of that one myself. All in all, we don't have a way for your company to configure 1Password X to completely prevent saving. It's an interesting request, though, and not one I've heard before.

This discussion has been closed.