1Password on Mac Always Open in TaskBar

Options
njitman
njitman
Community Member

I noticed that the 1Password app (where you edit logins, etc.) is always open and available in my taskbar and it was not there before, so this is from a recent upgrade. What is concerning is if someone clicks on that taskbar icon, it opens 1Password in full edit mode. I realize this is tied to the timeout settings, etc., but it was never a concern before, since the app would only open if I opened it, not always open and easily accessible by just clicking on it.

I did notice a setting about an Extension Helper, which is checked. Unchecking it did not seem to make a difference.

Finally, you can't close that 1Password instance running in the taskbar. You can't right-click and quit, it does not show up in force quit, it seems to be impervious to quitting. Please explain why it is working this way.

Thanks!

Pat

1Password Version: 7.7.1.BETA-3 (70701003)
Extension Version: FireFox 4.7.5.90
OS Version: MacOS 11.0.1
Sync Type: ???

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @njitman!

Finally, you can't close that 1Password instance running in the taskbar. You can't right-click and quit, it does not show up in force quit, it seems to be impervious to quitting. Please explain why it is working this way.

What do you see when you right click there? Can you post a screenshot?

• njitman
    njitman
    Community Member
    Options

See attached. First one is 1P running in the taskbar (I use ubar). Second one is the right-click menu for 1P. Both Hide and Quit do nothing. This only occurs on my Mac (running Big Sur) and I did not notice it before Big Sur, so I am thinking that is the source/cause.

Also, on your comment form, your image attach function does not work if you are not logged in, which is the case when you first open the link to reply. The dialog box tries to open but you cannot interact with it. After I clicked Comment As and logged in, it works as expected.

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@njitman:

See attached. First one is 1P running in the taskbar (I use ubar). Second one is the right-click menu for 1P. Both Hide and Quit do nothing. This only occurs on my Mac (running Big Sur) and I did not notice it before Big Sur, so I am thinking that is the source/cause.

I wonder if ubar is doing something here. I am also on Big Sur but I don't use ubar, and I am able to quit 1Password from there. If you temporarily disable ubar, are things working again for you?

Also, on your comment form, your image attach function does not work if you are not logged in, which is the case when you first open the link to reply. The dialog box tries to open but you cannot interact with it. After I clicked Comment As and logged in, it works as expected.

That is correct: the feature does not work if you are not logged in because the screenshot is uploaded even before you post the comment. But if you are not logged in, you are not allowed to upload content until you authenticate :+1:

• njitman
    njitman
    Community Member
    Options

I would have to assume it is ubar related, but without ubar running I don't have a taskbar to correlate the behavior. So, I quit ubar which had 1P and 3 other programs shown in the taskbar. I then relaunch ubar and only the 3 other programs came back in the taskbar. Opening 1P, closing it, etc. did not bring it back to the taskbar, which is how I remember it working. ubar loads on launch and when this started happening, I would notice 1P in the taskbar from launch even though I did not get a chance to launch it. I am going to reboot and see if it persists. BRB.

• njitman
    njitman
    Community Member
    Options

So, after reboot, 1P is back in the taskbar and cannot be removed. It is always first position. I am going to run this down as being a ubar issue and see what I find. Will update this post in case we find it is not ubar.

• njitman
    njitman
    Community Member
    Options

Final test was reboot with ubar not set to auto-load. That did the trick. If I let the system completely load, then launch ubar, no issues. So, I will get in touch with ubar and see what can be done. Thanks!

• @njitman

Thank you, and please let us know what they say. Might I say that was some great detective work on your end! Nicely done. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.