Post Read status broken again?

MrC
MrC
Volunteer Moderator

Has the forum post Read status broken again for others too?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Appears to be for me as well @MrC. :frown:

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Yes. I thought it was an issue on my side, but apparently not?

• Apparently not.

Ben

• I reached out to Vanilla (our forum provider). They are aware of the issue and have added us to the list of those affected. When I hear more I'll update this thread. :) Thanks!

Ben

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Any update on this?

I stopped reading the forum because of this issue... :(

(Should I plug Discourse again? ;))

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@XIII:

It seems working for me here :+1: What browser are you currently using? I can test it there too.

(Should I plug Discourse again? ;))

I don't believe we are using Discourse anywhere. As Ben said, we should be doing everything with Vanilla software.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

What browser are you currently using?

• Safari 14.0.1 (on macOS Catalina 10.15.7)
    • iCab Mobile 10.1.1 (on iOS/iPadOS 14.2)
  • MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2020

Firefox here.

It used to be that the forum topics were bold black when unread, and normal grey when read. Now, they are always bold black and have a yellow New for some new items (but not all, almost randomly). And the list is not contiguous, nor consistent - New items are not sorted to the top, so now its much more work to catch up with posts. I now have to use today's date/time to find the bottom of the list.

Examples:

This is a new post with no New icon:

This shows a new post at the top with the New icon, but one without:

Here are two new posts, one with, one without the New icon:

And this makes no sense at all - some new, some not new, yet everything above 1:54am is New to me:

If this was a Vanilla intentional change, its unfortunate, as it's a very poor choice, in my opinion.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Thank you for explaining; I had no idea...

(And don’t like this change at all)

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Same for me. MUCH harder to read now.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you all for the feedback! We will update the topic as soon as we get an update from the Vanilla developers :+1:

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

Have them look up "regression testing." It's in the manual...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I don't think we need to be that harsh with them @williakz, I am sure that the Vanilla developers are doing their best :) And as Ben said above, they are aware of this and will work on a fix :+1:

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

Not to be argumentative, but...

This is NOT the first time they've broken this critical utility for the support of 1Password users. You've been advised by others to consider alternatives to Vanilla. I'm guessing some serious discussion along those lines might result in benefitting both AgileBits and its user base.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2020

Not much of an update however I have reached out to Vanilla again this morning to see if they can provide any additional information and/or expedite this for us. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Ben

ref: dev/web/forum#70

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

How long will you keep on waiting for a fix before considering a move to a different platform?

• I think it would take a fair bit more than a bug in the post read status indicators for us to consider severing a long-term relationship with an otherwise helpful and responsive vendor. That would be my position, anyway. :)

Ben

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member

@XIII, I imagine the Vanilla package works better for 1Password Team Members (email list notification, threading, audit trail, etc.) than it does for curious users looking to keep up to date on various aspects of 1Password's evolution, especially when and where discussed in non-participatory threads. Likely, the corporate versions of 1Password have other, more functional modes and means of support.

• Email support is available at any level of membership. :) We can be reached at support@1password.com if you find that more convenient. A business membership is not required.

Ben

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hallelujah!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hallelujah!

:D

• XIII
    XIII