Suggestion: Please make the password suggestion feature respecting the password generator settings

Options

Hi,

I observe that the password suggestion feature in registration forms does not respect my password generator length and complexity settings. This renders it kind of useless as I have to manually invoke the password generator every time if I want to a password that respects the configured length and complexity.

Could you please make the password suggestion feature respect the settings configured for the password generator.

Thanks.
-b

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hey @binaranomaly ,

The suggested passwords use a predetermined recipe that cannot be changed by users, since we fear some users might set it to weak passwords and forget about it for long periods of times, causing them to use weak passwords everywhere.

We have recently added Apple's database of websites requirements that should help generate passwords that are more relevant to known websites, but that is of course not helpful if the websites you use are not in the top most used websites in the world.

For now, using the password generator is the right thing to do. I will forward your feedback regardless, we already have a feature request to add the password generator into the suggested password line :)

ref: dev/core/core#352

• binaranomaly
    binaranomaly
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @ag_yaron,

Thanks for the explanation, I can understand.

However, personally I'd want to have even stronger passwords than suggested (random, 30 char, symbol, number) and that's currently only possible through the generator with a far less optimal experience.

Maybe it could be done in a way that one could configure stronger passwords than the minimal required standard. This would take care of both aspects.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for the feedback and the suggestion @binaranomaly :+1:

This discussion has been closed.