I am unable to install the most recent 1Password7 update on my Mac OS Big Sur

Options
shankuntz
shankuntz
Community Member

when I try to install the update it keeps telling me unable close 1password 7. I've done the command quit and I don't have 1password mini running.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.6 (70600006) Mac App Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS Big Sur Version 11.0.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:I am unable to install the most recent 1Password7 update on my Mac OS Big Sur

Comments

• SteffenS
    SteffenS
    Community Member
    Options

Had the same issue and for me, it worked after I completely quit 1password. To be on the safe side that it works, restart your Mac first and make sure that there are no browsers opened. Then, open the 1password application, click 1password in your menu bar, hold control and option keys and then select the bottom option "completely quit 1password". Then you can go to the app store and update. Hope it helps!

• shankuntz
    shankuntz
    Community Member
    Options

That did not work. However, even though I disabled 1password safari exentsion, I also need to turn off extension helper within 1password, Preferences, Browsers. Once I did that, I restarted and update worked.

• @shankuntz

Thank you for sharing those steps with the community.

• nsalomatin
    nsalomatin
    Community Member
    Options

I have also noticed that 1Password extension helper is immediately restarted once you try to kill/close it. So it prevents 1Password from updating, I would consider it as a bug.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nsalomatin:

How are you quitting 1Password when this happens?

• nsalomatin
    nsalomatin
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana I restart a mac

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nsalomatin:

So 1Password is doing the right thing in your case. Have you considered unchecking the option to automatically run the 1Password helper, if you don't want it to start automatically?

• nsalomatin
    nsalomatin
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana So I am not able to update 1Password without restarting a mac, is it a right thing? And no one told me what was a root cause of it. I think a lot of users struggle from this issue.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nsalomatin:

Quitting 1Password completely should be enough. If you see this is not the case, please replicate the behavior, and then generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• nsalomatin
    nsalomatin
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana One cannot quit 1Password “completely” without restarting a mac, if 1Password extension helper is running. I already told you a root cause, just try it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2020
    Options

@nsalomatin:

One cannot quit 1Password “completely” without restarting a mac, if 1Password extension helper is running.

My apologies, I should have clarified this better: I did try it, and I was able to quit 1Password completely if the helper is running.

The only difference might be in where you installed the app from. I use the 1Password app from our website. Did you perhaps also install it from the Mac App Store like the original poster?

• nsalomatin
    nsalomatin
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana Yes, i installed it from app store

This discussion has been closed.