Master Password not working. Don't remember receiving Secret Key. Can't delete account. Help.

Options
josephfinneran
josephfinneran
Community Member

I had downloaded 1Password mobile app long ago but just set-up an individual account and started entering passwords in late September 2020. As far as I know I am update to date on both iOS and Mac desktop versions. Now I seem to have lost my Master Password...even though I am pretty sure I know the one or two passwords it could possibly be. I don't remember ever being sent a Secret Key. I've searched in my Mac finder for the Emergency Kit. Nada. My last resort would seem to be deleting my account and starting over...but I'm not seemingly allowed to do this either.

At only about 15-20% of password / account entry completed, it's a drag to start over but I'm willing to do that. But the fact that this process is so completely irretrievable makes me question whether it's worth the effort. This kind of obstacle is why I haven't mustered the time to take on this massive process previously. And here it is.

I've followed several support links to dead ends. The fact that I can't even delete my account without first logging in or having some information and there seems to be no authentication option that was set-up in the course of creating this account that can solve this...is pretty nuts. HELP, PLEASE!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Can't access 1Password can't delete account

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @josephfinneran! Welcome to the forum!

My last resort would seem to be deleting my account and starting over...but I'm not seemingly allowed to do this either.

What happens exactly when you try to delete the account? Do you get an error message?

But the fact that this process is so completely irretrievable makes me question whether it's worth the effort.

I am sorry to hear about this. For your privacy and security, your Master Password is not stored anywhere, only you know it. This means that it is not possible to recover it unless you are a member of a Families or Business accounts. This is why keeping the Emergency Kit up to date and stored in a safe place is so important. So I certainly understand that this is not pleasant, but there is a security reason why the password cannot be recovered.

I also wonder if you saw this documentation page already, with tips on what to do in case you forget your Master Password:

If you forgot your Master Password or you can’t unlock 1Password

This discussion has been closed.