How does a user set up or recover 2FA when "Require 2FA" is enabled for account

We have "Authenticator App" enabled under "Two-Factor Authentication" for our account that has multiple users, including myself as an admin. I have a 2FA code Google Authenticator for 1Password. My co-worker does not, and thinks he has never set this up. I don't know what the circumstances were when we first enabled the requirement of having 2FA to get into 1Password.

This user is using 1Password on his Mac and on his iPhone with no problem, in both cases using the 1Password app. Now he wants to set up another machine. Attempting to do anything on that new device results in him being asked for a 2FA code, which he doesn't have.

Instructions on how a user resets 2FA always seems to involve logging into a browser on a machine that has already been set up with 1Password. When this user attempts to do that...log onto our 1Password account in a browser...he is asked for the 2FA code. So it seems that he has no browser he can log into to set up 2FA. So then what does he do, or what do I do, to get his 2FA working so that he can set up a new machine and so he can log onto the web site?

TIA for your help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @steven_johnson! Welcome to the forum!

This user is using 1Password on his Mac and on his iPhone with no problem, in both cases using the 1Password app.

In this case, they can temporarily disable 2FA from one of those apps:

==Mac==
    Open and unlock 1Password on Mac.
    Select 1Password > Preferences > Accounts. Click your account, then click Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication.

==iOS==
    Open and unlock 1Password on iOS device.
    Tap Settings > 1Password Accounts. Tap your account, then tap Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication.

Once disabled, they can configured 2FA again with their authenticator app.

This discussion has been closed.