2fa code rejected

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Two-Factor Authentication screen displays “Confirm Code”.

Comments

• tride
    tride
    Community Member
    Options

Related: The iOS app asks for my 2FA code, which I grab from my Google Auth app, but never accepts it. It keeps asking for the code over and over. I use the same Google Auth app to generate the code that is accepted on https://my.1password.com/, so something is going on with the iOS app rejecting a code that is otherwise valid on other platforms. Help?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @tride!

If the code is rejected just on this specific device, the very first thing that is worth checking is if the time is correct. 2FA is very time-sensitive, so any drift in time on any of your devices could cause the authenticator codes to be rejected.

A good resource that makes it easy to check this is the following website:

https://time.is/

After making sure the time is the same on every one of your devices, your authenticator codes should be accepted.

• tride
    tride
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @ag_ana -

Thanks for reaching out. I just confirmed on time.is that the time on my Mac and iPhone are both correct.

I've turned off 2FA for now, via my Mac, as I got freaked out I'd eventually get locked out. I haven't had an issue with other services that use 2FA that were set up the same time I set up the code for 1P.

If you have any other tips please share and maybe I'll give it another shot.

Cheers!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@tride:

Does the same thing happen after a reboot of your iOS device?

• jinwai
    jinwai
    Community Member
    Options

I am having same issue with 2FA after upgraded to latest 1Password v7 and I have discovered the problem and workaround. It is a bug in this new version.

Here is the scenario:
    Assume I have 2 items in 1password and both 2FA enabled (1) google.com (2) yahoo.com.

1) When I want to use google.com 2FA, I would need to click google.com item to show the 2FA, but at this point, the 2FA code shown is the one which is incorrect (probably due to the timing that @ag_ana mention)

2) The workaround is to click away from the google.com item, in this case, I will click yahoo.com item, then I click back to google.com item again. At this time, the 2FA shown in google.com item will be the correct one to use. You will also notice that at this moment, the timing count down is the correct one.

Hope you can fix it in next version update.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jinwai:

There might be a related issue here that our developers are aware of, one that causes 1Password mini to show the wrong code in certain scenarios. I will add your experience to the internal conversation that we are having so they are aware of your experience too :+1:

ref: dev/apple/issues#5067

• jd007
    jd007
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

I'm also getting errors. Websites are sometimes giving me error saying it is incorrect code. If I keep trying enough times, eventually I can get a code that does work.

I checked the time on my Mac, it is correct.

EDIT: I just realised this is iOS forum, sorry I will repost in Mac forum

• jinwai
    jinwai
    Community Member
    Options

@jd007 You can check my workaround in previous post above while waiting them to fix it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries @jd007, I have just replied to you in the new discussion you opened :+1:

This discussion has been closed.