1Password Extremely Sluggish in macOS

whydavewhy
whydavewhy
Community Member

I have "1Password Families for Mac” Version 7.7 (70700015), and I am running it on a late-2016 MacBook Pro with macOS Big Sur 11.0.1. My wife has the same on her Mac.

Everything was working perfectly until the most recent 1Password update. Now, opening 1Password with Touch ID is extremely slow and clunky; I used to be able to simply hold my finger over the Touch ID surface, and 1Password would open up in a few seconds. But now, I hold my finger on the Touch ID surface, and nothing happens, so I click ‘Cancel’ on the 1Password pop-up, then I click the round Touch ID icon on the 1Password screen, and instead of opening, the screen changes to ‘Enter Master Password’. I have to go through this process 2 to 3 more times, before 1Password finally opens with Touch ID. Average time to open the app has been a minimum of 23 seconds, and a maximum of 58 seconds. My wife has the same problem on her Mac (using exactly the same computer, and same versions of software.)

Additionally, on my Mac (but not on my wife’s), each time I try to open a new record, I get the “spinning beachball,” and it takes about 19 seconds for the record to open. This is consistent on my Mac.

Any idea what might be causing these issues and how I can fix them?

NOTE: I sent the above tech support message to support@agilebits.com, which is supposed to be the email address for 1Password Tech Support. What I received back was an email message from 1Password Billing Support (support@1password.com), saying, “Thanks for taking the time to contact us about cancelling your 1Password membership.” How the heck did that happen? This is all very unsettling, especially since there was nothing in my email message about cancelling anything! And I never received an answer from Tech Support.

1Password Version: 7.7 (70700015)
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: 11.0.1
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:macOS problems

Comments

• iHuman
    iHuman
    Community Member

I'm also experiencing the same issue. My guess is since 1Password is now cloud based, there are too many people accessing at the same time at it is making it sluggish? Time to launch some more instances to reduce the bottleneck?

• mdze
    mdze
    Community Member

Here it is getting very slow too, I just posted in the other thread about it (https://1password.community/discussion/117123/memory-leak#latest). If you can, check if your process is also using high memory when it start to get slow.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you everyone for the reports! We have let the developers know, and they are currently working on improvements. Thank you all for your patience :)

• jmine83
    jmine83
    Community Member

Same here, ever since the latest 1Password update, the application on macOS has been painfully slow. Almost to the point where the app is unusable at times. I'm running on a MacBook Pro, Retina (Late 2012) with latest supported macOS Catalina (10.15.7).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @jmine83, and also thank you for your patience while our developers continue to investigate :+1:

• adidas28
    adidas28
    Community Member

I, too, am having slowness/slugishness when 1Password requires me to enter my fingerprint. I noticed that the app was using 777MB of ram, so I shut it down (used the menu to Quit out of the app), and restarted it. It is now only using 61.4MB!

• lpuerto
    lpuerto
    Community Member

I'm in the same boat. Seems that until the fix we are going to need to restart the app from time to time

• If you are experiencing slow downs that hamper your workflow, then a restart of the app may be the best way to ensure you do not experience slowness. I apologize. Development is aware and looking into your reports.

• leebird
    leebird
    Community Member

I'm experiencing the same thing. Beachballing and extreme sluggishness with the desktop app for Mac. I use Firefox, and that is a nightmare now too, with conflicting login popups that makes using TouchID inconvenient and difficult.

• dkav
    dkav
    Community Member

Is this issue more than just a memory leak? It was present in 7.6, 7.7 beta and now 7.7. It would be helpful to get assurance that the underlying problem has been identified and will be resolved.

• I can't say what the cause is, as I am not part of the development team, but I can tell you they are working on determining what's happening.

• hobbes444
    hobbes444
    Community Member

macOS Catalina 10.15.7
    Safari 14
    1password for Mac 7.7
    1password 7.7 add-on for Safari

When I press the keyboard combination to have 1password mini show up, if I have not used it in a while, it takes 5-10s to ask for the fingerprint. At first nothing happens when I press the shortcut, then a couple of seconds later 1password mini shows up, then a beach ball spins when I hover over 1password, finally it prompts me for the fingerprint.

I do have a thousand items in 1password nowadays, I hope I'm not reaching a performance limit...

Regards

1Password Version: 7.7
    Extension Version: 7.7
    OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
    Sync Type: 1password.com

• Hi @hobbes444

We have had a number of reports of this sort of slowness, particularly with Touch ID enabled. That said, I don't think it has to do with reaching some sort of upper limit on items. I've got thousands of items in 1Password and do not experience the problem. Our development team is investigating. To help facilitate that, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Please create the report while the slowness is occurring, if at all possible. Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/117595/1password-7-7-mini-freezes-for-a-couple-of-second-when-launched-for-the-first-time-in-a-while#latest
    • Your forum username: hobbes444

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics. :)

Thanks very much!

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#5132

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

+1 / me too.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you as well for letting us know @esquared, and thank you for your patience while our developers work on this :+1:

• hobbes444
    hobbes444
    Community Member

so of course now I can't reproduce the issue anymore... I downloaded 1passwordtroubleshooting.app and I will launch it as soon as I see this delay happening again. It's sporadic, meaning it will happen often, then stop entirely for a time, then happen again regularly for while, and so on.

• @hobbes444

Understood. Please send the report when it occurs. We would be happy to assist you.

• iherman
    iherman
    Community Member

I do not know whether it is the same error, but I also experience the slowing down. For me it is not really when I start it up, rather when I do a search, or I add a new item: it spins the colour wheel all the time, which is a bit annoying. My impression is as if the database needed some reindexing or something (but it may be something else). My vaults are not small: I have 8 of them, some of them contain over 1000 items. But, on today's terms, this should not be a problem...

I am impatiently waiting for an update!

• philmcole
    philmcole
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

Have the same problem. Clicking "Save" on a new item takes as much as 10 seconds to complete. "Quit completely" seems to solve the problem for some time, until it starts becoming slow again. Activity monitor reports several GB of "bytes read" for the 1Password process. I don't know what the expected amount of GB for normal usage is over a some weeks of use (because it runs in the background), but several GBs seems like a lot! Hoping you're making the fix top priority.

• _B_
    _B_
    Community Member

+1 -- Big time. I don't have much to add here, other than to say I downloaded 7.7 the day it came out and have been experiencing this since then. Before 7.7, it took 1-3 seconds to ask for the fingerprint, vs. the 5-10 it takes now. Please do help address this... may seem small, but the wait time sure adds up! Thanks!

• _B_
    _B_
    Community Member

Just adding that mine also is very slow to unlock in Safari since 7.7. Big Sur 11.0.1 // Safari 14.0.1. Will keep this brief as I've already written into Support with some more detail, but just wanted to echo the experience of others. Thank you for looking at this and hopefully resolving soon!

• Hi all,

We've made some changes in the latest beta version that we're hoping will address this. If you'd like to try the beta out to help us confirm/deny those changes helping, we'd appreciate it. You can find instructions here:

Use 1Password beta releases

Please let us know how it turns out if you try it.

Ben

• Echobase43
    Echobase43
    Community Member

I'm experiencing the same lag/delay on basic operations for 1Password 7.7 on MacOS BigSur 11.1.
    Each edit/save operation can take up to about 10 seconds to execute.
    Each unlock can take 5-10 seconds.

I've submitted a diagnostics report outlined by Ben above, but hoping there is a update coming soon as 1Password has become very difficult to use due to this performance hit.

• @Echobase43
    Hopefully, we can get those beta enhancements into a stable release sooner rather than later. If the betas are an option for you, they are also available. Thanks for sending in that report.

• Arrell
    Arrell
    Community Member

Was noticing slowness when updating tags. Upon installing the beta release it feels much more responsive. Will report back if anything changes.

• @Arrell

Thanks for giving the beta a go. :+1: :chuffed:

• davegarratt
    davegarratt
    Community Member

I have tidying up my vaults by moving items, editing and deleting as needed. On average this works for about 15 mins before the app becomes unresponsive. Sometimes I get the beachball and sometimes not. I think it’s when it’s updating the remote server. Quit - on the dock never quits and I have force quit before I can resume. I am a little concerned that I could loose or corrupt data like this. My vaults have 650 items in total and I have a fast internet connection of 200mbs up and down.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@davegarratt:

Quit - on the dock never quits and I have force quit before I can resume.

Quitting on the dock only closes the main 1Password app, but 1Password mini remains running. Instead of force quitting, you can try quitting 1Password completely instead (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely).

• davegarratt
    davegarratt
    Community Member

I have installed the beta version and this seems to have resolved the problem I was getting with the app locking up. Thanks Dave

This discussion has been closed.