1Password 7.6 slow as molasses on macOS Catalina

oliverahul
oliverahul
Community Member
edited October 2020 in Mac

We use the business edition of 1Password, with over probably 1000 entries in 27 vaults. Since the past month or so, 1Password7 App & browser extensions on Safari have become slow. Every operation causes the spinning beachball show up with the app or browser extension not responding. After 10-20s it comes back to life and then again gets stuck on every new operation. restarts of app, OS etc have not helped. Their business support tis non existent and tries to pin the blame on everything else but their own software.

We have a renewal coming up and are seriously considering moving to LastPass. But wanted to give one more try via this forum to see if anyone has a solution to this performance bottleneck on macOS Catalina. Other apps are running smooth. This is a pretty powerful 12 core brand new Mac desktop not even a laptop. When I see the activity monitor, 1Password7 app is using 12GB of RAM and 13% of the CPU all the time.

_1Password Version: 1Password 7
Version 7.6 (70600006)
Mac App Store

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @oliverahul! Welcome to the forum!

If you have been in touch with us via email, can you please share the ticket number so we can see the existing discussion? Thank you!

• oliverahul
    oliverahul
    Community Member

MPM-43448-371

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2020

@oliverahul:

Thank you! I see that my colleague Tom replied to you saying that this has been addressed in the latest beta of 1Password for Mac, where there should already be improvements on this :+1: You are welcome to test the beta right away if you would like to see if the issues goes away for you, otherwise the improvements should make their way to the stable app soon enough ;) Thank you for your patience in the meantime!

ref: MPM-43448-371

• oliverahul
    oliverahul
    Community Member

What’s the ETA for the beta? Will give it a shot.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@oliverahul:

The beta is already available :+1:

Use 1Password beta releases

• oliverahul
    oliverahul
    Community Member

Yes but when is it going to be released as a Full Access/general Access release. We can't deploy betas in production usage. It's ok for your own testing.

• @oliverahul

The beta is progressing. Hopefully, it will not be much longer.

• nicolaw
    nicolaw
    Community Member

Am also experiencing the same problem. Catalina 10.15.7 with 1Password 7.7 (70700015). Clicking on anything in the interface takes multiple (occasionally tens) of seconds while displaying the spinning pizza of death/rainbow beach ball.

• @nicolaw

Have you given 1Password a complete quit? Please try these steps and let me know how it goes.

• Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder.
  • oliverahul
    oliverahul
    Community Member

I can confirm this is NOT fixed in 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015). Same old issue. For anyone watching this thread the only answer is keep quitting the app every few mins of usage relaunch use it for a few mins and repeat. 1Password 7 team do you test your app with > 1000 entries and > 20 vaults? We were being fed that 7.7 was the answer to these issues and it's clearly not.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@oliverahul:

I can confirm this is NOT fixed in 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015).

That's correct: as mentioned above, the fix is not available in the latest stable release of 1Password (version 7.7, which you are currently using). The fix is currently only available in the latest beta.

• nicolaw
    nicolaw
    Community Member

@ag_tommy can confirm that this does not fix the problem, nor does rebooting.
    @ag_ana, is there any ETA for when this beta will be available as a full release? Unfortunately, I am not in a position to install a beta release.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nicolaw:

We don't have an ETA yet, sorry!

• mrlarso
    mrlarso
    Community Member

I am also having this issue. On a new Macbook Pro running Catalina whenever I try to unlock 1password I get the spinning beachball and it hangs for up to 10 seconds. Activity monitor shows the app taking 97%+ of CPU.

However, I can confirm that the issue is resolved in the latest beta though it would be nice to have it resolved on a stable release.

• @mrlarso

Hopefully soon. :chuffed:

• ravidew
    ravidew
    Community Member

Same thing for me with 1Password 7.7 (70700016) on macOS 11.1. (This was a clean install of macOS on a new 2019 MBP.) Saving a new or updated entry can take nearly 10 seconds, rendering the thick client virtually unusable for day-to-day work.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know about your experience as well @ravidew, hopefully we will have an update for this soon :+1:

• mikehermary
    mikehermary
    Community Member

1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700016) is also ridiculously slow on my MacBook Pro 15 inch from 2018 running the latest release of Catalina.

Opening the mini window and using the quick link in Safari takes many seconds to activate.

Deleting items in the full app takes between five and seven seconds to complete.

Any idea on when an update will be available to address these performance and usability issues?

Cheers,

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mikehermary:

We don't have a specific date to share, but our developers are indeed aware of the reports and are investigating them, so hopefully as soon as possible.

• theorician
    theorician
    Community Member

Hi, I've got the same issues - I went and installed the beta a while back when reading this thread, and it was better for a day or so. Now we're back to exactly the same or even worse behaviour.

1Password 7
    Version 7.7.1.BETA-4 (70701004)
    1Password Beta

Mac OS Catalina.

Can confirm that it's so slow that it's basically unusable.

• ravidew
    ravidew
    Community Member

The delays are now well beyond 10 seconds; the desktop client is no longer useable.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you everyone for sharing your experience with us, and for your patience while our developers continue to investigate this :+1:

• Sank
    Sank
    Community Member

Same here .. i just migrated from my old standalone (perpetual) version 6.x to family subscription on Mac version 7 and having horrendous experience. Its so slow that I have to use my iphone to look for password and then to transaction on my mac.. lost the purpose in big way. However when I disconnect mac from internet then its ok so seems the issue is the whole online account/vault sync.. in summary this is not a way to go for 1password.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Sank:

Thank you for the information! For confirmation, can you also share what version of the 1Password app you are using, and on what operating system?

• Sank
    Sank
    Community Member

@ag_ana its 7.7 on mac 10.15.7

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the confirmation @Sank, noted!

• Hampus
    Hampus
    Community Member

Sadly can only agree with Sank, "upgrading" from 6 to 7 has been a terrible experience. The time it takes to open 1Password or when pressing Cmd + * in Chrome is a straight up joke, especially when the vault is locked. I have a standalone license and syncing with iCloud, running latest 1Password (1Password 7, Version 7.7 (70700015), 1Password Store) and latest macOS on a maxed 2016 MBP.

And while unrelated to this thread, I might as well point out what I think is a questionable design choice while I'm at it. Who thought it would be a good idea to put edit/cancel/save buttons at the top left? Incredibly weird and non-standard, adding to the bad experience.

I've used 1Password for many years and always loved it, but honestly going to 7 has been nothing but a downgrade and has really had me consider switching to something else. I really hope this gets fixed soon.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Hampus:

Thank you for your feedback as well. Indeed, hopefully our developers will have a fix for this soon.

• P4sca1
    P4sca1
    Community Member

Same problem here. Using 1Password Business + Family Account with 6 vaults and 374 objects. It gets extremely slow whenever I edit or create an element and sometimes freezes completely.

1Password 7
    Version 7.7 (70700015)
    1Password Store

macOS 11.1 Big Sur

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you as well for sharing your experience with us @P4sca1 :+1:

This discussion has been closed.