Can we get the old Chrome extension back?

Options
gymshoey
gymshoey
Community Member

Using macOS 10.14 Mojave and Chrome.

I really do not like the "new" chrome extension ever since the recent 1Password update.
If any of my complaints below are due to ignorance as to how to get the extension to perform more to my liking, please let me know,

First, when I have the 1Password app open, the extension remains locked, whereas previously if the App was open, the extension was open. Moreover, the extension doesn't unlock with my fingerprint (like the app will). This is probably unchanged, but since I can't open the App to unlock the extension, it forces me to type in the password everytime for the extension. (This limitation will likely lead me to using a more lax password for 1Password, which is kind of funny and but more of a tragedy.)

Also, when you click on the extension and the dialog pops up, there is no longer the ability to select a "category" to filter what options you see, which is inconvenient when you have a lot of passwords.
The old chrome extension was very convenient if you logged on to a new site that 1Password did not recognize. The old 1Password would ask you to save/add the website and credentials in one step at the end and that dialog box was at the top and out of the way. Now when I go to a new login page (never before seen by 1Password), i have to confirm/save my username, and then I have to confirm/save again after my password. Moreover, the dialog boxes for those "save in 1Password" are in the middle of the page and obscure things I want to see. Also the random password "suggestion" by the chrome extension is now very limited. You get one suggestion with no options to change the length of the password or change the number of characters, numbers, and symbols. You also don't have the ability to generate a new one if you don't like the first one (because you know the first one will be rejected by the website because it uses one symbol inappropriate for that site).

There's probably more, but I just started using the new Chrome extension and was so annoyed I had to get this off my chest

I'm sure the 1Password team has put a lot of hard work to come up with the new version of their App and the new Chrome extension, but I beg them to reconsider their modifications.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 1.22.3
OS Version: OS 10.14
Sync Type: don't know what "sync type" is

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020
    Options

@gymshoey

It sounds as if you have installed 1Password X. Yep, I just noticed that your setup information. You have 1Password X. The companion app extension is still available for use. If you like, you can switch back. You would want to disable or uninstall 1Password X and then download and install the companion app extension from here.

Please make sure to have only one version of the extension enabled in a specific browser at a given time. Once you change over, you'll likely want to quit your browser and then quit 1Password completely.

• Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder. Then open your browser.

The sync type would be how you sync your data, such as 1Password.com.

• gymshoey
    gymshoey
    Community Member
    Options

Well that is great news if I can go back!
    Unfortunately, I am not clear where I went wrong, or exactly how I fix it.
    Before I updated my 1Password, I was using the Chrome extension for 1Password and I liked it. After I updated my 1Password, the icon for the Chrome extension was no longer in the extension tray. When I went to get the extension it took me to the website you mention (https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers) and I thought I clicked on the choice for Chrome under "Or download the companion app extension" (i.e. NOT the 1Password X extension). I will try to follow your instructions and see what happens. Thank you!

• gymshoey
    gymshoey
    Community Member
    Options

Excellent! That did the trick. Thank you so much.

• You're welcome. Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.