Multi-tasking support in 1Password for Android when providing two factor authentication

Shubhan
Shubhan
Community Member

Hi Team,

I am relatively new to 1Password, and setup my passwords using your web interface. I also setup your Android app and everything was fine, as I was getting used to the new 1Password normal.

Once comfortable, I enabled Two factor auth on a authenticator app followed by a Master password change to a stronger one.

This was the behavior in the Android app.

• To login it asked for my biometric auth
  • That was stuck at 'decrypting' screen without opening.
  • Then I tried entering the new Master password, it did not even accept that. Hard luck.
  • Forced killed the app and tried again without network, this time it worked. Not sure why.
  • To sync, started network, and app gave a 'update account' screen, asking for new master password.
  • Entered the new Master password and confirm.
  • Now it asked me for two factor auth.
  • I switched to the authenticator app, got the code
  • Now when I'm back on the 1Password app, again on the login screen.
  • This is now a loop!

Finally, disabled the two factor authentication.

• Came back to app, deleted app cache and setup app like first time login experience.
  • This worked and I was able to access the app. This was a sigh of relief.

Now I enabled two factor authentication again.

• The app asks for two-factor code when i login using biometric.
  • Switch to the authenticator app, get code.
  • Switching back to 1Password, provide biometric again.
  • Fortunately the two factor prompt page is still present I could enter the code

Here's my ask for your team

• Please try these setup scenarios internally so that the overall experience in providing two factor auth can be improved.
  • In a scenario where I just had the app (not logged in to website) , it would have become impossible to login.
  • Enable switching between apps (multi-tasking), for when two factor app prompt is requested, allowing to copy and enter it.
  • I'm worried that in event I loose my phone or it crashes, the new device with two-factor auth setup may just lock me out. [Unless I'm signed in to a web app where I can disable two factor auth, and that's risky too]

Question from security point:
How much value is there to keep the two factor auth enabled ?

Overall, I'm still happy with 1Password, I just want to share this so that it can be improved.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Multi-tasking support when providing two factor authentication

Comments

• ag_audrey
    edited December 2020

Hey @Shubhan, I'm sorry to see you had a hard time with the Android app and 2FA.

That was stuck at 'decrypting' screen without opening.

This behaviour was due to 1Password needing to be reauthorized after you set up 2FA on your account. If you ever see this again, exiting and relaunching the app like you did should prompt 1Password to ask for your 2FA code.

Enable switching between apps (multi-tasking), for when two factor app prompt is requested, allowing to copy and enter it.

I sincerely apologize for the confusion and frustration you must've had with this experience. It sounds like you have Lock on exit turned on, which means 1Password will lock whenever you exit the app. If you go to the 1Password app > Settings > Security > Turn off Lock on exit, then you should be able to switch apps without getting prompted for Biometric Unlock, making it easier and quicker to retrieve your 2FA code for 1Password.

You can also use split screen mode to copy and paste your 2FA code.

I'm worried that in event I loose my phone or it crashes, the new device with two-factor auth setup may just lock me out. [Unless I'm signed in to a web app where I can disable two factor auth, and that's risky too]

If you lose your device, you can deauthorize the device in 1Password.com: https://support.1password.com/two-factor-authentication/#view-and-manage-authorized-devices.

The only way you'll get "locked out" of your 1Password app with regards to 2FA is if you lose access to your authenticator app. In that case, temporarily disabling 2FA will be the way to move forward: https://support.1password.com/two-factor-authentication/#if-you-lose-access-to-your-authenticator-app.

How much value is there to keep the two factor auth enabled ?

Security is our number one priority here at 1Password. We definitely encourage enabling 2FA, as it's an extra layer of protection for your 1Password account.

Hopefully that helps, and let me know if you have any other questions!

• Shubhan
    Shubhan
    Community Member

Thanks so much for the response.

The Turn off Lock on exit was indeed turned on and turning it off is now helping me use the app in a better way. Thanks for the tip.

I did try using the split screen mode with 1Password, but it did not work for the authenticator app as it did not support it when unlocking it using biometric.

Thanks again for the help, appreciated. Please continue improving the 1Password experience.

Happy Holidays!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of ag_audrey, you are welcome @Shubhan! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day and Happy Holidays to you too :)

This discussion has been closed.