1Password is asking me daily for my master password

sebastianhuff
sebastianhuff
Community Member

Hi everybody, 1password asks for my master password nearly every day. After I enter it, I can use Touch ID as usual.

This started like a week ago, until then I could simply use Apple Touch ID to open 1Password. I switched to OS 11 just after the release (~Nov 12th), so that was a lot earlier. In the preferences the renewal time is set to 14 days, I already checked that.

The only "bigger" change this week was that I tried to install Bluestacks, maybe that changed something in the OS preferences? But I don't think so.

Thanks for your help!

1Password Version: 7.7.1.BETA-3
Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
OS Version: macOS 11.0.1
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:masterpassword

Comments

• @sebastianhuff

Our developers are looking into reports about this behavior. Hopefully, they determine what's happening and get a fix out.

• robchandhok
    robchandhok
    Community Member

@sebastianhuff Do you have enough examples? Happens to me also, I can't tell the pattern (tried to make it happen with sleep, etc.) but it's super annoying.

1Password 7
    Version 7.7.1.BETA-3 (70701003)
    1Password Beta

• Berzerker
    Berzerker
    Community Member

Happening to me as well, but to be honest, this has been happening to me for quite a while, even before Big Sur was released.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you both for the information! Our developers are investigating this, and hopefully will have an update soon :+1: :)

• sebastianhuff
    sebastianhuff
    Community Member

I kind of have the feeling that the behavior has changed - to two or more password requests a day.... ;)
    Means: It seems to happen even more often now.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for sharing your experience as well @sebastianhuff :+1:

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

Sorry to say, but another "+1 / Me Too". Using 1Password 7 Version 7.7.1.BETA-3 (70701003).

I can't quite but a finger on the pattern - it's not EVERY time, but it seems like it occurs after my screen locks. Not sure if that's the consistent factor though.

• switters
    switters
    Community Member

I'm also having this problem. I suspect it's related to my M1 Mac? Never had the issue on my Intel Macbook Pro, but it started after I bought an M1 Macbook Air.

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

I doubt it's related to your M1 - it's happening on my 16" Intel MBP running Catalina (10.15.7). I've pretty much narrowed it down to asking me after my screen locks, whereas if 1P locks but not my screen, then I can still use the fingerprint reader to unlock 1P.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you both for chiming in on this :+1: Hopefully our developers will have an update for this soon :)

• maesk
    maesk
    Community Member

As I stated in another thread about this, it also happens to me on both Catalina and Big Sur, both Intel Macs, since v7.7 (I think, it started a few weeks ago). I have to type in the master password several times a day, touch ID then works for a while and then I have to type it in again, even though it is set to ask only every 2 weeks.

• Clear_Requirement
    Clear_Requirement
    Community Member

I'm in a similar boat as @maesk. I have to type in the master password several times a day, touch ID then works for a while and then I have to type it in again, even though it is set to ask only every 2 weeks.

I'm currently using macOS 11.2 Beta (20D5029f). This problem seems to have been worse since Big Sur 11.0.1. It might be more of an Apple issue as something similar seems to happen with the Apple lock screen for me.

• The developers have released a new 1Password beta that we hope resolves those pesky issues you have been facing once and for all. Please update and let us know how it goes.

• Clear_Requirement
    Clear_Requirement
    Community Member

The latest beta, 7.7.1.BETA-4 (70701004), does seem to have fixed my issue.

• Thanks for the update @Clear_Requirement. Glad to hear the beta helps. :+1:

Ben

• maesk
    maesk
    Community Member

When will there be an official update for this?

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

@maesk

We are still working with our current beta series. We hope to get that out to you as soon as possible. I'm afraid I don't have a better time frame to offer.

• maesk
    maesk
    Community Member

Thanks, I hope it's sooner rather than later since this is a truly super annoying bug!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood, we will do our best to get this published as soon as possible @maesk :)

• maesk
    maesk
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

How long will you let us suffer? This has been going on for many weeks now. My love for 1Password is slowly turning into ... nuh, I still love it, actually. It's just so cumbersome to type in the master password all day.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@maesk:

Are you currently using the beta version?

• maesk
    maesk
    Community Member

I am not, no. Maybe I should, but I'm not sure where to find it and how to change back to the normal version again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@maesk:

You can find the instructions for both things here:

Use 1Password beta releases

• maesk
    maesk
    Community Member

Nice, thanks! That's a great and very easy way to use Beta releases. I installed the Beta and will let you know if the issue is resolved with the Beta in a few days.

• @maesk

Sounds good. :+1:

• maesk
    maesk
    Community Member

I haven't had the issue anymore so far since using the beta! Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the update @maesk! That's great to hear :)

• maesk
    maesk
    Community Member

A few days later, I can definitely confirm that the issue is resolved. I haven't been asked for the master password in several days now – just like I configured it – on 2 different devices.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @maesk :)

• maesk
    maesk
    Community Member

A good 3 weeks later and I haven't had this issue again. Love how 1Password works seamlessly again with touch ID! Thanks for fixing this.

This discussion has been closed.