Can can we expect the Whitelist for the Sidekick Browser and it's 1Password chrome plugin?

adriancares
adriancares
Community Member
edited December 2020 in Mac

I am a big fan of the Sidekick Browser (v. 87.7.36.5759) as an alternative to Google's Chrome browser.

However, the 1Password chrome extension cannot connect with the Desktop App. That renders 1P useless for now.

Sidekicks developers have said that you need to whitelist their browser so the extension can connect with the desktop app.

When can we expect this to happen?

I heard that 1Password X is working but I am one of the non-subscription users so 1Password X is not an option for me. I've purchased the standalone version for Mac.

Looking forward to your feedback and thank you for a slick piece of software.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: BigSur 11.0.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:sidekick

Comments

• Hi @adriancares

Thanks for taking the time to reach out and for your interest in using 1Password in new & different browsers. At this time we are not planning on whitelisting additional browsers beyond the ones currently supported in the 1Password 7 app. As Dmitry pointed out 1Password X will work in most any Chromium-based browser, including Sidekick, and so that'll be the solution at this point for the many different browsers that have been popping up. 1Password X does not have the same restriction where browsers have to be whitelisted before they can be used with the extension.

I am one of the non-subscription users so 1Password X is not an option for me. I've purchased the standalone version for Mac.

I'd encourage you to reach out to our team at support@1password.com to discuss further.

Ben

• adriancares
    adriancares
    Community Member

Thank you for a fast response.

Understood. So I don't have to impatiently wait for the whitelist each day.

It's a bummer that only 1PX users can benefit from 1P using the Sidekick browser.

Will reach out to the support team as recommended.

Thank you.

Adrian

• Ben
    Ben
    edited December 2020

Thanks @adriancares. :) :+1:

Ben

ref: YCI-79666-518

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member

I'd like to add my +1 to this request. With the recent malware in The Great Suspender, I'm excited to give Sidekick a real shot, since it handles tab suspensions natively:

I'll reach out to support@1password.com I guess since I'm not interested in migrating to 1Password X at this time.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Chris Messina:

Thank you! I have managed to find your message in the system :+1:

ref: QFR-56844-781

• dkobia
    dkobia
    Community Member

Another +1 for sidekick :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know @dkobia :+1: :)

• yury_a
    yury_a
    Community Member

@ag_ana Please please please add support for Sidekick browser in 1password for mac

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I have sent your wishes to the developers as well @yury_a :)

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#462

• puja108
    puja108
    Community Member

Another +1 on this, my main reason being that the native app for Mac supports TouchID, which 1Password X sadly does not integrate with, so when choosing complex passwords, re-entering that password manually is quite tedious.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited April 2021

Noted @puja108, thanks! :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#462

the native app for Mac supports TouchID, which 1Password X sadly does not integrate with,

It will, hopefully soon, just so you know ;)

• puja108
    puja108
    Community Member

It will, hopefully soon

that's great news, happy to test a beta when it's available, I'm anyway already on the 1password beta channel in sidekick

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@puja108:

We don't have a beta with this available for test yet, but our developers are working on this at the moment. You can read more details here if you are curious:

Temporarily removing Desktop App Integration

• To avoid any confusion here, even if 1Password for the Browser is installed in SideKick, it won't be accepted by the native app so you still won't be able to unlock using Touch ID.

• puja108
    puja108
    Community Member

Just to confirm, even with the new beta it is not working in Sidekick. It works well with the new beta in both Chrome, Brave, and Firefox on Mac. Can you confirm you will not open this up for Sidekick? Cause then my decision to drop Sidekick is sadly final.

• Can you confirm you will not open this up for Sidekick?

Confirming that the integration will not work for Sidekick.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@adriancares, @Chris Messina, @dkobia, @yury_a, @puja108:

Hello Everyone! I just wanted to let you know that the latest Beta of 1Password for Mac - version 7.8.7.BETA-1 - now supports the Sidekick browser :)

Support for Sidekick and The Browser Company browsers have been added to 1Password for Mac Beta.

In case you are not on the Beta channel yet, here is how you can get there :+1:

Use 1Password beta releases

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member

YAAAAAASSSSS [GIF of baby increasingly and exceedingly excited]

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:D

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member

It appears that 1Password is broken in the latest Sidekick browser update (I have installed the Sidekick update and restarted my browser):

My version info:

Sidekick Version 90.10.12.11869 (Official Build) (x86_64)
    1Password 7 Version 7.8.7 (70807004) 1Password Store

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Chris Messina:

1Password 7 Version 7.8.7 (70807004) 1Password Store

Can you confirm that you are indeed on the latest stable version of 1Password? I checked the release notes and I think the integration is currently still only available in the beta channel.

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member

I'm on the beta channel.

• nickmcguire
    nickmcguire
    1Password Alumni

Heya @Chris Messina 👋🏼

I can confirm that a wire's been crossed and the most recent beta is not connecting to Sidekick as it should. I've reached out to our internal Apple team so we can get a release out that will fix this up.

Apologies for this hiccup, I know we just chatted about it last night on the Twitter Space and I'm looking forward to you being able to use your browser of choice 🙊

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member

Thank yoooooou!

This makes me so saaaaad!

• @Chris Messina,

Sorry about that, no crossed wires, we just were waiting to put the beta out until the MAS version had been approved (in the event we had to go back and make additional changes). You'll find 7.8.8.BETA-0 in the beta channel now.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Chris Messina:

Have you had the chance to give this another try? Is it working for you in the latest beta?

• Thomas8520
    Thomas8520
    Community Member

Tom from Wavebox here, our customers keeping reaching out to us to say that 1Password has opened up to more 3rd party browsers such as Sidekick here.

Given all the activity on these forums regarding Wavebox (https://1password.community/discussion/109610/wavebox-preview-is-now-chromium-wavebox-works-with-1password-x), could we pick things up again to have the Wavebox app signature blessed by 1Password?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Thomas8520:

Thank you for reaching out! Please reach out to us via email at support+forum@agilebits.com and we can put you in touch with someone who might be able to help here :+1: :)

• Chris Messina
    Chris Messina
    Community Member

@ag_ana yes, it seems to be working again, thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's great to hear @Chris Messina, thank you for the update :)

This discussion has been closed.