I can open 1Password on Safari, but can't migrate to 1Password app after new hard drive installation

Options
WestCoast
WestCoast
Community Member

After installing a new hard drive on my iMac (first one died), I used time machine to restore my data. When I downloaded 1Password for OSX, I couldn't open 1Password as it didn't recognize the password.

All of my passwords can by accessed via the internet but I'd like to use the app on the Mac.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 11.0.1
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:replaced mac hard drive, after reinstalling 1Password, I can't open the application...

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @WestCoast!

It sounds like your old 1Password app was configured with additional vaults. The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

From what you are saying, I wonder if you had a Primary vault in the 1Password app you are trying to restore from. Does this ring any bells?

• WestCoast
    WestCoast
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks ag_ana,
    I was able to use "Add your account directly" on the web version to then open up in the app.
    Much appreciated.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are welcome @WestCoast! I am glad to hear this :)

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.