Why Login Required to Use Password Generator?

I signed up for 1Password about 2 weeks ago. I mostly use the 1Password X browser extension, but am not satisfied with the passwords it suggests. I like the desktop app's password generator which lets me add special characters and customize the length. However, whenever I right-click on the tray icon and select "Password Generator", it requires me to log in before I can generate a password. Is this really necessary? It's annoying to me when I'm generating it for use in the browser anyway, and when I could instead bookmark a link to https://1password.com/password-generator/

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:login password generator

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @nukmicah!

However, whenever I right-click on the tray icon and select "Password Generator", it requires me to log in before I can generate a password. Is this really necessary?

1Password must be unlocked in order to save the passwords you generate. If you did not unlock it, it would not be able to store them, and you risk losing passwords that you have generated, before being able to save them.

• nukmicah
    nukmicah
    Community Member

Thank you for responding! However, as I said in my original post I am primarily using 1Password X, thus I do not need to unlock the Windows app in order to save the passwords after I already unlocked 1Password X in the browser. In this post you mentioned that the team is working on "integration between both 1Password for Windows and the 1Password X Beta (where both the app and extension would talk to eachother [sic], and unlocking one would unlock the other...)". I guess integration is probably a better fix, and/or adding the password generator to 1Password X.

And it would be nice to see the same generator interface and options across the 1Password Windows app, the 1Password X browser extension, https://1password.com/password-generator, and anywhere else 1Password is used... Maybe you could have a simple/advanced toggle in the 1PasswordX password suggestion dialog, that lets advanced users generate longer/more secure passwords.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nukmicah:

Correct, integration is something our developers are working on as we speak, and will definitely help in this case ;)

Maybe you could have a simple/advanced toggle in the 1PasswordX password suggestion dialog, that lets advanced users generate longer/more secure passwords.

Specifically, which options of the password generator are you missing in 1Password X?

• nukmicah
    nukmicah
    Community Member

... Well, I didn't even realize 1Password X had a password generator, that's the main problem I had.

The very first place I looked for a password generator was actually in the "Use Suggested Password" popup, I was very surprised that there's no settings cog or anything on that popup to customize the suggested password.

I looked high and low, finding the Scan 2FA QR-code/Copy Link/Open in New Window/Favorite buttons, looking through all the settings, and trying to Edit entries to see if that did anything. Now thanks to you telling me it for sure exists, I looked up the help manual and it told me about the "+" button. Well sure enough, there it is.

I honestly never noticed that button, and never clicked it. I guess probably because I'm only creating accounts on webpages with the "Save in 1Password" popup, and if I'm creating the password there it never occurred to me to click the "+" button in the toolbar dialog.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nukmicah:

Thank you for the update! The suggested password generator and the full password generator are currently separate. The idea of the suggested password (the one you have been using until now) is to create secure passwords that work out of the box with the majority of websites, without requiring user interaction. If you prefer to have better control over the generated passwords, you can certainly use full password generator.

Having said this, we are always looking at ways to improve this behavior, so your feedback is very useful :+1: :)

• nukmicah
    nukmicah
    Community Member

I actually haven't been using the suggested passwords; I prefer the better control from the generator, and so far have been separately unlocking the Windows app just to get use the password generator.

I'm glad you listen to the feedback and provide a public forum for it! One could certainly argue this particular case was user error, but in general I like companies who appreciate whatever feedback new users provide. Early impressions in particular are so impactful, and new users aren't used to the status quo.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@nukmicah:

Likewise, we appreciate the discussion and the time you took to write your thoughts about this :)

This discussion has been closed.