Unlock with Watch Stopped Working

jamesall
jamesall
Community Member

I was able to unlock 1Password using my watch until a few days ago, but now it doesn't work.

WatchOS 7.1
1Password 7.7
MacOS 10.15.7
MacBook Pro (15-inch 2017)

I can still unlock the mac itself using the watch.

I have followed the procedure of disabling watch unlock in Mac preferences, reset SMC, rebooted in Safe mode, re-enabled watch unlock in Mac prefs, rebooted into normal mode but still doesn't work.

Any further suggestions?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: iCLoud

Comments

• steve_muench
    steve_muench
    Community Member

This happened to me, too. Curious how to get it working again. It was great while it was working...

• wene37
    wene37
    Community Member

This happens to me once a week. I think the problem is that after the time period in settings is over (in my case 1 week), 1password should ask for the master password once. But unfortunatley after that they do not activate apple watch unlock again. So I need to go to settings in 1password, disable "unlock with apple watch" and re-enable it. After that it works again on my place.

• I'm sorry for the problems this seems to have caused you. Our developers are investigating your reports, and we hope to have a resolution soon. Thank you for working with us while we were trying to resolve whatever the underlying issue is.

• sconline
    sconline
    Community Member

It was great whilst it lasted! My Apple Watch unlock feature has also stopped working whilst the unlock my Mac feature is fine. Have switched off both rebooted but 1Password Apple Watch unlock is broken :(

• TheDrOnos
    TheDrOnos
    Community Member

This happens to me once a week. I think the problem is that after the time period in settings is over (in my case 1 week), 1password should ask for the master password once. But unfortunatley after that they do not activate apple watch unlock again. So I need to go to settings in 1password, disable "unlock with apple watch" and re-enable it. After that it works again on my place.

Disabling "Unlock with Apple Watch" and re-enabling it worked for me. I had previously changed the timeout to 2 weeks and I'm pretty sure I was prompted for my master password after two weeks (a few days ago) but this morning the Apple Watch unlock icon was missing and I had no prompts to use it for unlocking 1password. Unlocking my Mac Mini (Big Sur) has been working fine with WatchOS 7.1.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sconline, @TheDrOnos:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• wghalvorsen
    wghalvorsen
    Community Member

Obviously, unlocking 1Password with Apple Watch is not ready for prime time. Please, Agilebits, do a thorough development and test of new features before introducing them. It just causes us users a lot of aggravation and wasted time doing your beta testing for you.

• wghalvorsen
    wghalvorsen
    Community Member

Hi all. I'd like to reply back that with the help of the 1Password support team I got the watch unlock working. In the end I had to turn off watch unlock of the mac, do an SMC reset and a boot into safe mode, then reenable watch unlocking on the mac and 1Password. Now it works even when not in safe mode! Thanks 1Password support team!!!!

Yes, watch unlock will work after following this procedure. But come back after an hour or two and the watch unlock function has disappeared.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the feedback @wghalvorsen. We definitely will do our best to make sure we keep getting better and better in the future :+1:

• jamesall
    jamesall
    Community Member

I've just emailed in my diagnostic report. Ticket ref #YJU-44252-749

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jamesall:

Thank you, found it! We will take a look and someone will get back to you via email as soon as possible :+1:

ref: YJU-44252-749

• sconline
    sconline
    Community Member

@ag_ana Typical, it's started working again this morning! If it stops again I will send the logs

• jamesall
    jamesall
    Community Member

Mine also started working again today. I installed the latest Mac OS patch for 10.15.7 this morning, so could be related.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sconline, @jamesall:

Thank you both for the updates! I am glad to hear this :) And by all means, please feel free to send us the logs in case this starts happening again :+1:

• rpatrick2282
    rpatrick2282
    Community Member

I am running the latest updated of MacOS 11 and watch unlock is still not work for me. I am on an M1 Mac mini. Are there some logs or something that I can provide to help?

• alexclst
    alexclst
    Community Member

I've been experiencing the same issue. My preferences are to require master password every 2 weeks (wish there could be a "never" like on iOS, especially given this problem...). At those intervals, it requires my master password, but does not seem to then re-enable the Apple Watch unlock. I'm on an M1 Mac mini running macOS 11.1 and the MAS 1Password at version 7.7.

• The team is working to resolve the issues that have been reported. Your reports have not gone unnoticed, I assure you.

• nickditoro
    nickditoro
    Community Member

Looks like I'm not alone with this issue. :-)

• Unfortunately, no @nickditoro

• elf101
    elf101
    Community Member

still going on for me on 10.15.7

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020

We released 1Password 7.7.1 beta 4 yesterday which we believe will help resolve the issues you are experiencing. If you are not on the beta and would like to try it out, please enable the betas and update.

You may also need to do the following.

1. Disable Touch ID and/or Apple Watch unlock in 1Password Preferences > Security and in System Preferences
    2. An SMC reset. https://support.apple.com/HT201295
    3. Restart the Mac.
    4. Setup your unlock method(s) again.
  • nickditoro
    nickditoro
    Community Member

Unlocking with my Apple Watch resumed working on its own late last week. However, the behavior soon afterward became was quite different on my MacBook Pro than on my iMac Pro, both running MacOS Big Sur 11.1. On the MacBook Pro, it has been working perfectly, but until I installed 7.7.1 beta 4 on my iMac Pro, I would be prompted to open 1Password on my Apple Watch; I'd double click on the watch, and then 1Password would close with error. With the beta, this has been resolved.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Apologies for the late reply, but thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that the latest beta resolved this :)

• kdogg1
    kdogg1
    Community Member

@ag_tommy & @ag_ana these steps do not work for a 2018 Mac Mini with a T2 Chip. Super frustrating!!

• bh444
    bh444
    Community Member

Time to release this update. Tired of typing in my master password 4 times to get my watch to work so I don't have to type in my master password all the time.

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

@kdogg1

Please contact us using support@1password.com we may need to gather additional information from you.

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics

Your user name here in the forum. kdogg1
    A link to this topic. https://1password.community/discussion/117410/unlock-with-watch-stopped-working#latest

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

@bh444

We hope to get it out as soon as possible. Many people are looking forward to this update.

• kdogg1
    kdogg1
    Community Member

@ag_tommy Just sent!

• @kdogg1

I was unable to locate a ticket for you. If you received a reply with a support ID number, please post it here. Perhaps you sent it from a different email address than the one your community account uses.

• kdogg1
    kdogg1
    Community Member

@ag_tommy I'll send it again. I actually never received a response stating that a ticket had been generated.

This discussion has been closed.