To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Managing an account for family members

Options
Memories4Life
Memories4Life
Community Member
edited December 2020 in Memberships

You really shouldn't be blocking folks on social media because of a dispute. Been trying to contact you and its clear you have blocked me.

TBH i don't really give a #### but i got family members that want to use your software and unfortunately i have to deal with the tech side.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Memories4Life! Welcome to the forum!

What is the issue you are experiencing exactly? We would love to help you if you could give us some details :)

If you prefer to continue the conversation in private, please email us a link to your Twitter discussion at support+forum@agilebits.com and we can also continue the conversation over there :+1:

• Memories4Life
    Memories4Life
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

SO here is the deal.. my twitter handle is no secret its my username here with the obvious at symbol. But that really isn't my problem.

So i have family members that want to use 1pass but they really aren't tech savvy at all. SO, i have been asked to be the admin.
    I personally use the standalone version i need for you guys to answer a couple of question.

1. So it looks like im going to be the admin for the Fam. Whats happens when i die (morbid Q yh i know)? how do others take over the account as an admin? Not looking to die anytime soon but as you know anything can happen.

2. I am using the desktop version and never opted for the subscription before now for security reasons. All my passwords are stored locally and i personally will not be bringing them to an online version. so how does the family package effect me if running from the same comp?

Dam i hope this makes sense to you....

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Memories4Life:

So it looks like im going to be the admin for the Fam. Whats happens when i die (morbid Q yh i know)? how do others take over the account as an admin? Not looking to die anytime soon but as you know anything can happen.

The best way would be to have another admin in the account, who could take over admin duties if necessary:

Implement a recovery plan for your family

Alternatively, if you want to be the only admin, you can make sure that your family members have access to your Emergency Kit, which has your account information. They can then use this information if necessary to access the account and continue performing administration actions.

I am using the desktop version and never opted for the subscription before now for security reasons. All my passwords are stored locally and i personally will not be bringing them to an online version. so how does the family package effect me if running from the same comp?

All of the admin functions can be performed on the 1Password.com website itself, after you login to your account, so you don't even need to add this account to the 1Password app you have been using until now.

But even if you decide to add this 1Password account to the 1Password app (perhaps because you want to share some items between you and the family members), 1Password supports multiple accounts and sync methods at the same time:

How to use multiple accounts

• Memories4Life
    Memories4Life
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

If i appoint another admin will they see everyone else's passwords?

If i appoint another admin will they be able to take control of the payment plan if something does happen to me?

Via the desktop app will i be able to control the family account as well as my own offline account?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, i just need to know the famalams are good if when one departs from his skin. :) ;-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Memories4Life:

If i appoint another admin will they see everyone else's passwords?

By default no, they would need to be added to those vaults as members. However, they do have the power to do so if they wish, since they have admin privileges on the account. So you would need to trust the family members before giving them admin powers (although this might not be a problem in your scenario, as there might be a level of trust in the family account already).

If i appoint another admin will they be able to take control of the payment plan if something does happen to me?

Yes :+1:

Via the desktop app will i be able to control the family account as well as my own offline account?

Admin actions can currently only be performed on the website, in the app you can do just a limited list of actions at the moment (such as creating new vaults, for examples, or deleting existing ones).

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, i just need to know the famalams are good if when one departs from his skin

No worries at all, that's what we are here for :)

• Memories4Life
    Memories4Life
    Community Member
    Options

Great!

FTR... This is the most civilized conversation i have had with anyone from 1password since this platform came to the Windows.

I don't take security lightly. I now feel confident to go ahead and allow the fam's to use your platform. TBH the alternatives are pretty scary.

Thanks for the info and you take care... Happy Holidays.

Signed

TheRoyalPainInTheArse... ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Memories4Life:

Thank you for the kind words :) And I certainly understand the need to clarify things before making a decision when it comes to security :+1:

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day and Happy Holidays to you too!

• Memories4Life
    Memories4Life
    Community Member
    Options

HI @ag_ana

Another Q

As mentioned i am using the Desktop version of 1pass v7.XX now i am taking on the family acc can/should i be using 1pass X as the browers ext? and will that integrate with the desktop app as the standard ext does?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Memories4Life:

As mentioned i am using the Desktop version of 1pass v7.XX now i am taking on the family acc can/should i be using 1pass X as the browers ext?

It's not mandatory: if you use a 1Password Membership, you can choose between the 1Password X browser extension and the companion browser extension. 1Password X is not mandatory, you can still choose the extension you prefer.

and will that integrate with the desktop app as the standard ext does?

At the moment no, but our developers are working on the integration in 1Password X too. So while right now it does not have it, it will definitely have it too :)

• Memories4Life
    Memories4Life
    Community Member
    Options

so basically i should stick with the standard browser ext in order to use the desktop app right?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Memories4Life:

Correct, for the moment the standard browser extension is the one that integrates with the desktop app (for example, to use Touch ID to unlock it, and unlocking one also unlocks the other at the same time).

• Memories4Life
    Memories4Life
    Community Member
    Options

you're a diamond thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

You are very welcome @Memories4Life :)

• Memories4Life
    Memories4Life
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana

Really sorry for this but i'm a little confused here...

On the pricing page of your website the families subscriptions is priced @ $4.99 but when i go through to the section when i need to input my credit card details the prices changes to $5.99 with a message saying 20% vat will be added to the final amount.
    so what is the correct amount?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Memories4Life:

If you live in a country where VAT must be paid, the price will be $4.99 + VAT. We cannot know the VAT amount until you enter your payment information, since VAT changes by country, which is why it only shows up at that step of the process.

• Memories4Life
    Memories4Life
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

@ag_ana

Taxes Taxes Taxes, Cant live with em and they wont lets us live without em.

Happy Holidays. 8-)

P.S Family Account is now Opened. ;)

This discussion has been closed.