Ready to buy 1Password 7 for MBP running macOS Catalina 10.15.7. How to transfer data from 6?

mara
mara
Community Member
edited November 2020 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

No cloud sync. Back up manually. Old computer running macOSX El Capitan version 10.11.6 1Password 6 version 6.8.9 (689001), 1Password 6 Extension version is 4.7.4.

New computer running macOS Catalina 10.15.7.

I prefer to continue backing up manually. How do I transfer the data from old vault to the new vault?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Ready to buy 1Password 7 for MBP running macOS Catalina 10.15.7. How to transfer data from 6?

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mara!

If you move your backups folder to your new machine, you can install 1Password on this second computer, and import the latest backup from 1Password Preferences > Backups tab.

• mara
    mara
    Community Member

I was able to import the latest backup. However it does not load onto the new 1Password 7 vault in a way that I can read. It just lists that there are 241 items.

Could you explain how to do this again to me? I have 1Password 7 installed on the new computer but I am unable to figure out how to transfer all of my data from my old computer's 1Password 6 vault.

Please explain this in simple terms, so I can do all the steps. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mara:

Can you please confirm what is the current status of the migration, so we can make sure we are on the same page? At the beginning of the post you wrote:

I was able to import the latest backup.

But then you said:

I have 1Password 7 installed on the new computer but I am unable to figure out how to transfer all of my data from my old computer's 1Password 6 vault.

Were you able to move your backup to the new 1Password 7 app on your new computer? Do you see your data when you open the app there?

• mara
    mara
    Community Member

I copied the latest backup from the old computer (1Password 6) to a thumb drive. After installing 1 Password 7 onto new computer, I opened preferences and clicked on Restore and selected the opened backup of 1 Password 6 (on the thumb drive). When I re-opened the vault on the new computer, all it said was 241 items and had a column of boxes with the alphabet letters. I could not open any of the items.

All of the new formatting of the new 1Password 7 also seemed to have disappeared.

• @mara

selected the opened backup of 1 Password 6

The restore file should not be opened when you try to restore it. Please select the desired backup file ending in .zip.

• mara
    mara
    Community Member

Thank you all. It finally worked. Went back to comment from Kevin (June 2016). and followed his directions!:

• @mara

I am glad to hear all is well. Also, it's nice to hear you could find the knowledge you needed in this treasure trove of secrets we call a forum. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.