How to use browser extension more easily?

Options

I subscribe to 1Password, and try to use autofill feature in several browsers (Safari, Chromium browsers, Firefox).
I'm comparing with 1Password (desktop app required) and 1Password X, but both feel not so good. Which one should I use?

1Password (desktop app required) is useful because

• you can unlock with Touch ID or Apple Watch (using 1Password mini)

but

• Firefox extension does not work at all (even though installed, 1Password mini suggests installing the extension)
  • some minor Chromium browsers does not work properly (browser identification failure, connection failure)

1Password X is good because

• the extension updates frequently and works steadily
  • many people say we should switch to 1Password X

but

• the master password required every time after unlocking the computer
    I do not remember the password, so I always open 1Password.app first and then copy & paste it

• Safari version does not exist

1Password says the master password should be complicated and some bloggers say memorable password is not good, but this prevents me from remembering and requires pasting the master password.
I want one like iCloud Keychain, that you can autofill in Safari with one click or with Touch ID.
Do you have any idea?

Comments

• akimi
    akimi
    Community Member
    Options

version
    macOS: 11.1
    1Password.app: 7.7
    1Password (desktop app required): 4.7.5.90
    1Password X: 1.22.3
    syncing data only with 1Password account

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hey @akimi ,

1Password X is definitely the recommended extension to go with. We're currently working on integrating it with the 1Password 7 desktop app so it would be possible to unlock it with Touch ID.

Until then, using a memorable password is recommended if you don't remember a long random password.
    Memorable passwords are not secure only if you made them up. But if you use a generator like ours, you can be certain that the memorable password's entropy and strength is completely secure and safe to use.

Not only that, but your 1Password data is also protected by your Secret Key. That means if anyone ever get their hands on your Master Password, it is still useless to them if they don't have your Secret Key and they won't be able to access your data (unless they get physical or remote access to your computer/phone, in which case no amount of security or password strength can help).

You can generate memorable passwords in our apps and extensions, or via our website: https://1password.com/password-generator/?type=memorable
    Here are some more tips on that: https://support.1password.com/strong-master-password/

As for 1Password X locking up, you can adjust its auto-lock settings by right clicking the extension's icon on the top right corner of your browser and selecting "Settings".
    Keep in mind that it will still lock up if you quit the browser completely or if you restart/shutdown the computer.

If you choose to go with the the old companion extension, here are the downsides:

As for Safari - it currently has the 1Password X interface in it, so you can enjoy both worlds :)

• akimi
    akimi
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for replying.
    I misunderstood the mean "memorable". So-called memorable password is something like name, birthday, or one phrase etc., but the one 1Password recommends is different: random phrases. I'll switch to the memorable password and 1Password X in Chrome, Edge, Firefox.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @akimi ,

Definitely do NOT use the other "memorable" passwords type you've read about. A birthday or a name are extremely bad passwords :)
    I'm glad I could help.

• akimi
    akimi
    Community Member
    Options

Of course. I've just made the password with following the page you mentioned. Using the new password feels less troublesome than I expected.
    Also I'm glad to see the plan to adding Touch ID unlocking in 1Password X.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad to hear it @akimi :)

We're here if you have any further questions or issues.

This discussion has been closed.