Safari extension no longer works after 7.7 update

Options
mhedstrom15
mhedstrom15
Community Member

Recently both my computers updated 1Password to 7.7 (work laptop, personal iMac). Today neither extension in Safari works. Clicking on said mini icon in the Safari toolbar does nothing. If I'm on a webpage, and click in the password field, I get a popup saying I need to unlock 1Password (no place to enter a password, does not work with TouchID or watch), only the application itself is already unlocked. I can still go directly to the application to pull passwords, it's just the Safari extension that isn't working.

Both Computers: Safari 14, Mac OS 10.15.7.

I can not install Big Sur on my work laptop since it hasn't been cleared yet by IT, and just haven't done it yet on my personal Mac. If this extension only works with Big Sur installed, please let me know how to downgrade.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:safari

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mhedstrom15! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Do you see the same behavior now?

• mhedstrom15
    mhedstrom15
    Community Member
    Options

Huh, that worked. I did everything else too: quit the app, rebooted....completely forgot about the mini icon. Thanks! So I apparently learned that quitting the app does not quit Mini.

• On behalf of Ana, you're welcome.

• dscifers
    dscifers
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,
    I've been having trouble with my Safari extension and 1Password mini icon not working too. I've tried the steps you mentioned above and it worked for one website and then stopped working on the second one. The icon for the safari extension disappears too. The 1Password mini icon is still visible, but unresponsive to clicks.

I've tried restarting my computer and doing a complete shut down. Neither seem to work. After the computer boots up, I can get 1Password to work on the first website I go to and then it stops working properly. If it works on the second website (which isn't consistent), then it's on a 5-10 second delay. This started after the Big Sur update. 1Password on Chrome works fine.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

1Password 7.7 is just awful on the Mac. Very unreliable in web browsers, and the app itself sometimes grinds to a halt. The quality of 1P in general has been in decline for a while now. Not sure why.

• @dscifers

It sounds as if 1Password is on the middle of an update or perhaps macOS is holding on to an older version of the extension.

Can you open Safari > Extensions > and disable the extension followed by enabling it again.

Also, have you given 1Password a complete quit? Please try these steps and let me know how it goes.

• Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder.
  • @odysseus

I am sorry to hear that you feel things are declining. The development team is working to identify and squash a few bugs that appeared in 1Password 7.7. Hopefully, you will see an improved experience soon. You are welcome to join us and help test our betas. They will be the first place to see improvements and you can always post feedback in our beta section.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

Oh please. I was a beta tester for 7.7 and I thought the quality was awful up to the last versions. I'm not doing it again. The "few bugs" you mention in 7.7 make it frequently unusable!

• @odysseus

From our other topic we resolved the issue with 1Password X and a restart. Did you also have an issue with Safari?

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

It has happened in Safari, yes.

• @odysseus

What kind of issues are you experiencing with Safari? If you're not experiencing it presently, that's good news. Maybe that restart worked out the Gremlins. If you are, please describe what's happening, and maybe we can resolve that issue too.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    Options

There are plenty of problems with 1Password that can't be attributed to random events, as I'm sure you know. The slowdowns and freezes in the app that have been reported for weeks without there being a solution, for one. The inability to properly fill logins in some instances is another (this has been going on for years …). But the most common problem is that a browser extension will fail to recognize a login field and be unresponsive.

• Aguirre
    Aguirre
    Community Member
    Options

Also expereienceing constant problems with Safari helper. Often clicking the helper icon does nothing. Requires quitting Safari and main 1Password to get going again.

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020
    Options

@odysseus

Our developers are looking into the performance reports. I'm sorry I don't have better news to share. :frown:
    Have you tried creating a new login for the item? I can't say I have seen 1Password not recognize a login field and become unresponsive. Do you have a site this occurs on that we can investigate?

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020
    Options

@Aguirre

I have replied to several posts of yours. Could I ask that you use one thread about the issues you are experiencing? It will help ensure faster responses and reduce duplication of efforts. Perhaps this one (below), as it starts with a question from you. Feel free to add additional questions.

https://1password.community/discussion/comment/581616#Comment_581616

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.