Master password always needed

yohst
yohst
Community Member

Since the last update, 1Password asks for my master password every. dang. time. I need it. When I dismiss the dialog (asking for master pwd), and attempt to use Touch ID it reverts back to showing the "enter master password" again.

This is quickly becoming more than a nuisance, I hope the 1pwd team has some suggestions.

Using Safari 14.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @yohst! Welcome to the forum!

When I dismiss the dialog (asking for master pwd), and attempt to use Touch ID it reverts back to showing the "enter master password" again.

What happens if you don't dismiss the dialog, and instead enter your Master Password once? Are you prompted for the Master Password again afterwards?

• yohst
    yohst
    Community Member

As I said, I am asked for my master-pwd every time. So yes, after I enter the pwd, sometime thereafter when I need it for another site/application, master pwd must be entered again.

• pindoctor
    pindoctor
    Community Member

Same issue since updating to Version 7.7.1.BETA-3 (70701003) on M1 MacBook Air

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you both for the confirmation! Our developers are currently investigating this, so hopefully we will have an update soon :)

• goorchid
    goorchid
    Community Member

Same problem here! Really would appreciate a fix.
    Thanks

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

I will let the developers know @goorchid, thank you for taking the time to report this :+1:

• wonnage
    wonnage
    Community Member

Same here. Seems like locking the screen is fine (e.g screensaver), but sleeping the computer requires master password every time.

• maesk
    maesk
    Community Member

For me too, since the last update (v7.7), on two different Intel Macs, one running on MacOS Catalina and one on Big sur. It is very very annoying, I have a very long master password and have it set to ask only every 2 weeks. Please fix it as soon as possible!

• mplssign
    mplssign
    Community Member

It looks like the option for Face ID (in Settings/Advanced) is missing. Here's a link to my advanced settings screen showing no option for FaceID: https://puu.sh/GYugn/59b2e80d66.jpeg (Sorry, I had to give a link instead of uploading an image because the image upload in the WYSIWYG isn't working (it's behind the text field).

Thanks,

Tony

• @mplssign

It sounds like iOS may be having issues with "Face ID" in general. Have you tried toggling it on and off in the iOS settings app under Face ID and Passcode? I would recommend that first, and while you're in that section, make sure and tap on the "Other Apps" selection and verify 1Password is enabled to use "Face ID". If you haven't restarted the device recently, that can also help solve transient issues.

• Toggling off/on Face ID will require you to enter your Master Password to open 1Password the first time. Make sure you know your Master Password before attempting the above steps.
  • mplssign
    mplssign
    Community Member

ah - it was shut off in my settings, specifically for 1Password. I wonder after updating the app, it defaults to "off" in iOS settings. Anyway - thanks!

• @mmplssign

Glad to help. Enjoy the Holidays!

• ag_tommy
    edited January 2021

Anyone with Touch ID issues the developers have released a new 1Password beta that we hope resolves those pesky issues you have been facing once and for all. Please update and let us know how it goes.

If you're not on the beta and want try it out. Please follow this set of instructions.

• wonnage
    wonnage
    Community Member

Confirming that 7.7.1-beta4 fixes things!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the update! Glad that helped. Happy holidays! :)

• yohst
    yohst
    Community Member

Is this fix coming to a standard release soon?

• @yohst

We hope to get it released as soon as possible. I'm afraid I don't have a time frame to offer.

• jawigrant
    jawigrant
    Community Member

This bug is driving me crazy. I have the beta build Version 7.7.1BETA-4 (70701004) installed and it is NOT working.
    95% of the time I am required to enter the master password.

This Beta seemed to work for a bit (but definitely did not fix the issue).

Please HELP.

• @jawigrant

Please send us a diagnostic report from your device. Use the following link to create that report for your device.

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics

The diagnostic report doesn't include any private information like your logins, Master Password, or Secret Key. Please send that report to support@1Password.com Be sure to include the following information with your submission.

Your user name here in the forum. jawigrant
    A link to this topic. https://1password.community/discussion/comment/584202/#Comment_584202

• Please do not post your diagnostic report to the forum. This is for your privacy and security.
      The report will be in zip format. Please send the entire file.

Once we receive the report, we will be in a better position to assist you. You will receive an auto-reply from BitBot, our auto-responder. Please post the Ticket ID you receive back here.

• @jawigrant

I just replied to your ticket please check your inbox. Let's continue the discussion via email to prevent duplication of efforts.

This discussion has been closed.