1Password opening a new instance of Safari

Options
tog
tog
Community Member

I have just upgraded to 1P 7, but find that whenever I unlock it from within the browser, a new instance of Safari is created. I cannot find any reference to this and have no idea how to stop it. Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @Tog

Try changing your settings in 1Password > Preferences > Browsers > Open logins in

• tog
    tog
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't appear to make any difference.

As soon as a click "Unlock 1Password", and before putting in my password, it opens another instance, with identical tabs to the current window.

• @tog

Have you given1Password a complete quit? Please try these steps and let me know how it goes.

• Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder.

Do you have more than one instance of our helper in the menu bar? You mentioned moving to 1Password 7. Is your previous version of 1Password completely quit.

If you open Safari > Preferences > Extensions > How many copies of our extension do you have?

• tog
    tog
    Community Member
    Options

All of the above had no effect, and the problem persisted between restarts too. In fact I found that clicking the menu bar helper also started a second instance of Safari! There was only one extension and helper, and 1P6 was zipped (by the 1P7 installer presumably).

However I have found a fix - my Safari was not quite up to date. I've only just moved to Safari 14 (hence needing to update to 1Password 7), but when I double checked the system was up to date so that I could tell you it was, I discovered that it wasn't! There was a Safari 14.0.2 update available that I hadn't spotted. I'm still not sure how or why that should make a difference, but so far the second instance problem seems to have gone. Sorry it was something so simple, thank you for your help.

• Ben
    Options

Glad to hear updating Safari addressed the issue. Thanks for the update! Happy New Year.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.