Having some problems with generated passwords

Options
rgprints
rgprints
Community Member
edited December 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm a total newbie. Here are several problems:
1. I used 1Password to generate a new password on the TDBank (TD.com) site, but TDBank would not accept the generated password. I made sure it was not too long, but there was no diagnostic info and the TDBank page continued to say that the password was weak, although there were checkmarks next to all of the criteria. Finally I resorted to letting Chrome generate the password and that worked.
2. On two other financial sites (Vanguard.com and TIAA.org) I was able to use the 1P generated password, but in all cases I had to copy and paste from the extension into both fields. I was expecting the passwords to get auto filled.
3. On the TIAA web site, 1P did not automatically update with the password it had generated and I had to go and edit it in the app to enter the new password.

BYT, on the TDBank website when I finally resorted to using the Chrome generation, Chrome did autofill both blanks. 1Password had not done so and I had to copy and paste both fields, but as mentioned above, that failed.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: WIndows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Having some problems with generated passwords

Comments

• Hey @rgprints. :smile: No worries on being "a newbie" — we all started somewhere. Let me be the first to welcome you to the 1Password family! Could you let me know which extension you have installed, the desktop app extension or 1Password X? If you're not sure, copy and paste this into the address bar in Chrome and hit enter, and you'll see a list of your installed extensions:

chrome://extensions

• rgprints
    rgprints
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Michael, Thank you for your help and the welcome. I have installed both the Windows desktop app and the Chrome extension. One of my first discoveries was that the 1Password install did not install a Chrome extension, which is why my first attempts were not working at all, and that led me to search for and find it. (My first complaint about 1Password is that the extension is not part of the installation, nor do I recall seeing anything during the installation that said I needed an extension.) The problems listed above are after the extension was installed.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @rgprints ,

Micheal asked which extension is installed in your browser, because we offer two different extensions.

According to your answer, we'll be able to provide you with better suggestions and instructions on how to handle and manage passwords changes and creation :)

This discussion has been closed.