Older kids: Preparing for separation

lhensey
lhensey
Community Member

While my kids are in college, I plan to keep them part of my group, but once they are on their own, they'll need to be able to manage themselves independently. Is there a procedure to let them 'graduate' off onto their own plans without losing everything?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey @lhensey

We'd be happy to help. Could you please let us know a little more about your goals here? 1Password Families includes up to 5 family members without additional cost, so many families choose to include their adult children (or e.g. adult parents, in my case) in their membership. Doing so also enables continued sharing e.g. of the WiFi password, estate planning documents, healthcare proxy documents, etc.

If you do decide ultimately that splitting them off is the right thing, they can sign up for their own membership, and move their items over:

Move and copy items

The caveats are that Document items will likely need to be downloaded from their account in your membership and re-created in their new account, and any links between related items will need to be re-established.

There is also the possibility of a 3rd option whereby they create their own membership, migrate their personal information to it, but retain an account within your membership for sharing purposes. That may be the best of both worlds. :)

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.