Request: Keep 1Password X logged in x amount of time even when Chrome is closed on Windows?

Options

Long story short, I like 1Password X and it works great on my MacBook, but on my Windows gaming desktop and Surface Pro, it's kind of a pain when I close Chrome. As soon as I open Chrome up again I'm logged out despite telling Chrome to run in the background and setting auto-lock to 15 minutes. On MacOS it's nice because I can close out of Chrome (but not quit) and it's still open just out of the way. I was hoping for the same behavior on Windows for "x" amount of time. Like if I'm idle 15 minutes or system turns off screen or sleeps, it'll lock.

Is there anyway to A) get this to work or B) get it implemented in a future update?

I talked to a support rep and they said, "...eventually 1Password X will be integrated into 1Password Desktop on both Windows and MacOS, but no ETA on that" and while I do plan on keeping 1Password pass my 30 trial, it'd be nice to have that sooner than later.

Anyway thanks for reading my post.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hey @vahdyx ,

1Password X lives entirely in your browser, and cannot access functions outside of it, therefor it cannot keep count or keep some background service alive while Chrome is closed. As soon as you close Chrome, 1Password X is terminated. That is beyond our control as that is how Chrome handles extensions (which is a good thing! You don't want extensions from Chrome running in the background when Chrome is closed, which is a security risk).

The reply you got from our support rep is correct. We really do know the pain of having 1Password X lock up constantly, and that is why we plan to integrate it with the 1Password desktop app. That's the only (secure) way to have a background service running that will keep it unlocked even when Chrome is closed.

While we don't do deadlines and ETAs, I do believe it will be released sooner than you think.
    In the meantime, a few tips to help you improve things:

• Keep Chrome minimized when possible instead of closing it.
    • Use a memorable Master Password which is easier to type but is still ultra secure: https://1password.com/password-generator/?type=memorable
    • Adjust the auto-lock settings of 1Password X as you see fit in its settings page.

Thanks for bringing this up and sharing your feedback. Hopefully this integration feature will be released and solve all of our problems soon enough :)

• vahdyx
    vahdyx
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

Well that's not quite true, the extension itself doesn't seem to request chrome to run in the background. I recall a couple years back getting so annoyed Chrome kept running in the background and ended up turning off this setting! I don't quite get why it's a security risk especially if you add a timeout/lockout feature that doesn't work unless minimized.

But then after some research on various Google and tech forums and blogs, it states "Apps need to request to keep Chrome open" in order for that feature or Chrome setting to apply. One Chrome extension I found was "Lightning Reopen" which started running and keeping Chrome open despite closing the main window.

As you can see in my task bar, Chrome is now staying open. It's a nice work around to the issue, but it would be nice if you guys could make 1Password X actually do this itself as I have no idea how safe (datamine-y) this "Lightning Reopen" is. So I'll likely be uninstalling it.

That said though, it does keep 1Password X open so I don't have to sign in again. A work around nonetheless.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @vahdyx ,
    That's a pretty cool workaround, but definitely not the approach we aim on taking.

The only way to ensure a safe and secure unlocked state when the browser is closed is via our desktop app, which we are working on integrating 1Password X with.
    We have no intentions of keeping Chrome running when you don't want it to, and I'm sure it also has some security ramifications involved.

If you do end up keeping that Lightning Reopen extension, make sure to read reviews about in the Chrome extensions store to make sure it is legit and doesn't pose a security threat.
    Thanks for the info!

• vahdyx
    vahdyx
    Community Member
    Options

Yeah it sounds like having 1Password X integrate with the desktop app will solve the issue, so making changes now seems counterproductive. Though it would be nice to have a toggle or something like that to enable X to keep Chrome open.

For what it’s worth to anyone interested, there’s other extensions that keep Chrome open that are more reputable like Dropbox for Gmail, VPN extensions, etc. just gotta find them.

I will wait for X integration with desktop. Seems like the simplest solution.

Thanks for the information.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional tips and suggestions here as well @vahdyx .
    Hopefully the new feature will be released in the near future :)

This discussion has been closed.