Problem Signing In To Chase Account - Safari "Fill Code" and 1P Conflicting

HFTobeason
HFTobeason
Community Member
edited November 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

Watch this video:

https://app.box.com/s/gs8wsuensr0kluq2velq1gqtbvw0jbji

Safari Version 14.0.1 (16610.2.11.51.8)

1Password Version: Version 7.7 (70700015)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 11.0.1 (20B28)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @HFTobeason ,
    Thanks for the video.

I'm not sure if it's 1Password causing this, or Safari's built-in "fill code" mechanism, or even the website itself. We'll need to test this.
    Please try disabling Safari's autofill and see if things work correctly: https://support.1password.com/disable-browser-password-manager/

Does the password field stays populated after autofilling with 1Password?

• HFTobeason
    HFTobeason
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply. I do not have Safari's autofill on (and never have):

And no, as you can see in the screenmovie, it looks like clicking the 1P selection to autofill the password field fills it for an instant, but then something erases it...

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the additional info @HFTobeason ,

We need to get to a scenario in which only 1Password injects itself to the page, so we need to disable that text message autofill popup. Can you please disable that, then test and see if the field is still being cleared when you autofill with 1Password?

• HFTobeason
    HFTobeason
    Community Member

I have no idea how to disable the Security Code AutoFill in Safari. I did try turning off Text Message Forwarding on my iPhone, which should prevent Safari from getting the AutoFill, but then I couldn't figure out how to force the Chase website to ask for the 2FA code again. And yes, I did delete all cookies. So I don't know how to recreate the exact situation that demonstrated the issue, sorry.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hmm, That's unlucky.

perhaps it has a certain timeout in which it will forget you. Give it a day or two without logging into Chase's website, then try again and see if it does ask you for an sms verification.

Thanks for sticking with me while we try to figure this out :)

• HFTobeason
    HFTobeason
    Community Member

Okay - I had the same issue again today. Here's a screenmovie:

https://app.box.com/s/w14cbft59cefkz4wamrhw59kmb5u71r0

Part of the problem is that 1P is suggesting a new password in the Password field - but what the website wants is my current password.

I finally popped open the 1P extension and copied my password, at which point I could continue logging in.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @HFTobeason ,
    Thanks for the video! The issue is much clearer now.

Can you please try the following:
    1. Get to that page where it asks you for the sms code and your password.
    2. Click the password field so that 1Password will pop up, but instead of selecting the new password, click the little arrow under the new password to reveal the menu, then select "Logins" (the 2nd option).
    3. Your current existing login item should show up. Select it and see if it autofills your current password.

Does that work?

• HFTobeason
    HFTobeason
    Community Member

I'll have to wait until that website decides to challenge me again - right now I can't get the darn 2FA thing to pop up...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood @HFTobeason, keep us posted :+1:

• rangerrick
    rangerrick
    Community Member

Hello -

I am having the same issue. I really do like that sms 2fa's are autofilled on my Mac, but it is a pain with Chase...

I tried the steps mentioned by ag_yaron, but still no dice. What happens is the masked password flashes in the box for a split second and goes away.

The screen recording below shows this happening. Here, I am pressing "Command + \" to try to fill the box. When I tried the steps mentioned by ag_yaron, my user id was momentarily visible and although I have a "Fantastic!" password because of 1Password, I did not want that displayed on this forum.

screen recording

Hope this helps!
    Thanks!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the video @rangerrick .

It looks like Chase's auto-focus is causing things to go haywire. The next time one of you reaches that page, can you collect the page details for us and send it over? Here's how to do that on Safari:

1. Open the 1Password desktop app, click the 1Password menu on the top left next to the Apple logo > Preferences.
    2. Go to the Advanced tab of the Preferences window.
    3. Turn on the "Copy JSON" option.
    4. Visit the page exhibiting the issue and open 1Password mini by clicking the extension icon next to Safari's address bar.
    5. Open the gear menu and choose "Request Page JSON".
    6. Copy all the text that shows up into a document/text file and send it over to support+extensions@1password.com with a link to this forum discussion.

Hopefully that will allow us to figure this issue out.

• rangerrick
    rangerrick
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron -

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious... I enabled "Copy JSON", but am not finding the "Request Page JSON" in the menu. I tried restarting Safari and 1Password, and even rebooted, but no dice...

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @rangerrick ,
    Thanks for trying that.

Can you please check this page and see if the "Request page JSON" shows up here: https://fill.dev/form/login-simple
    Thank you.

• rangerrick
    rangerrick
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron -

I do not see the Copy JSON option there, either. It shows the same menu as my screenshot above.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

That's strange @rangerrick .

Can you please try this:

1. Right click the mini icon in your Mac's menu bar, then selecting "Quit 1Password Completely".
    2. Delete the 1Password app from your Applications folder.
    3. Install a fresh copy of 1Password 7 from our website: https://1password.com/downloads/
    4. Go to the app's preferences and disable the "Copy JSON" option, then enable it back on.
    5. Open Safari and see if this option now shows up in the grey gear icon when you call the extension on a page.
  • rangerrick
    rangerrick
    Community Member

Hi @ag_yaron -

That almost worked I followed the steps you listed but not dice. I saw there was a beta version as well, and that one gave me the "Request JSON" option, so I grabbed it and emailed it.

I reverted back to the latest regular version of 1Password, and the Request JSON option is not showing again. At least now if any more JSON is required, I know I can switch to the beta version again :)

• @rangerrick

I was able to locate your submission.

ref: SEU-82978-963

• rangerrick
    rangerrick
    Community Member

FYI - I got an email back from support+extensions@1password.com, which said this issue was filed for the dev team to look into.

In the meantime, the email also asked me to try to drag-and-drop the password from the extension into the password field, which worked just fine. I did not realize it was possible to do that! It's a bit faster than the copy-and-paste method I was doing before (plus it keeps the password out of my clipboard :)

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020

@rangerrick

That's great news. Hopefully, your details may prove useful if someone else experiences this. Great tip on using Drag and Drop. :)

• HFTobeason
    HFTobeason
    Community Member

I just sent you the requested JSON dump - I hit the same issue again just now.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @HFTobeason ,
    Thanks for sending it too. We'll add it to the report we filed for our developers. :+1:

• rangerrick
    rangerrick
    Community Member

Just realized this has been fixed! Thanks everyone!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Indeed! You are most welcome :)

This discussion has been closed.