The 1password desktop browser companion is so old

D4vid
D4vid
Community Member
edited December 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have ever been interested in a best sync between 1password and it's chrome extension but I can't use it when I have from the same hand 1password X that seems better and works better overall in a browser, I just would like (I think everyone would) that the 1password extension (not 1password X) seems more new, just like 1password X and worked just like 1password X. I would use finally the desktop app as I want to ('m speaking for the windows users)

1Password Version: 7.6.785
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 20H2
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Blake
    edited December 2020

Hey @D4vid 👋

As you've noticed, 1Password account users have a choice between two extensions: the traditional 1Password extension (desktop app required) and the newer 1Password X.

First, the super-quick backstory. The 1Password extension came first, and has long brought the functionality of the 1Password for Mac and Windows to every major browser. In November 2017, we introduced 1Password X to bring 1Password to ChromeOS and Linux users, along with some new superpowers for your browser.

So, what are the differences between them, and which one should you be using? Here's everything you need to know!

1Password X - smart, independent, and new

• 1Password X works separately from the 1Password apps for Mac and Windows, instead connecting directly to your 1Password account.

• It's pretty magical with its inline dialogs! Sign in with one tap, change your passwords in a flash, and a whole lot more.

• It's also platform-agnostic, meaning it's the exact same on Mac and Windows. We are working on Desktop App Integration for 1Password X, and we plan to have a public available beta available for folks to try later this year.

Notes: Requires 1Password account, supports desktop Chrome, Firefox, and other Chromium-based browsers on any computer. No support yet for Touch ID/Windows Hello.

1Password X: Download and more info

1Password extension - connected to the 1Password apps

• The 1Password extension links 1Password Mini (part of the 1Password apps for Mac and Windows) to your browser. 1Password Mini is a little different on Mac and Windows, so the extension experience is a little different too!

• Supports all the features of the 1Password apps, like Touch ID/Windows Hello authentication and Open and Fill, and shares the app's lock/unlock state.

• Save and fill with the Command-\ shortcut (Mac) or Control-\ (Windows).

Notes: Requires 1Password 6/7 for Mac or Windows, supports Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Brave, and Edge.

1Password extension: Download and more info

Which one should you choose? If you still have a standalone vault, need Touch ID/Windows Hello support in your browser, or are using Safari, you'll want the 1Password extension. Otherwise, 1Password X is a great choice for its magical ✨ new features, super-easy inline filling and saving, and broad browser compatibility.

I apologize for the wall of text, but I hope this helps clear things up!

• D4vid
    D4vid
    Community Member

Hey @Blake, I really don't want to choose between a good integration of 1password and 1password X functionalities, that's why I'm still waiting for the 1password X integration feature that I know the 1password team is already working on

• Blake
    edited December 2020

You're right!

We believe you shouldn't have to choose either, which is why have plans to add the integration to 1Password X on all platforms (see this post from Dave) soon, as you mentioned -- but it is not available on Windows now.

Please stay tuned for future updates. 💙

• necochino
    necochino
    Community Member

I just installed 1Password X on Firefox (MacOS BigSur 11.1). I can't get it to work. I click on the icon and nothing happens. It shows a closed lock in the bottom right. What am I missing? The MacOS stand alone works fine.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

Hi @Blake , thanks for the great comparison! :+1:

Hey @D4vid !

that's why I'm still waiting for the 1password X integration feature that I know the 1password team is already working on

Me too. I'm looking forward to the "new" 1Password X extension.

• necochino
    necochino
    Community Member

SOLVED - So, somehow I found it... it was hidden. Right-click (ctrl-click on the mac) on the toolbar space to "customize". The icon was there among the options. I dragged it net to the other icons, and done ! What a weird thing to happen. I can't count how many times I installed, de-installed and re-installed, rebooted.... ugh...

• Firefox has changed things over the years, so that would've probably caught me off guard too, @necochino 😜

I'm glad to hear you got it figured out, and you're up and running though!

• MHMertens
    MHMertens
    Community Member

You say that the 1P extension (not 1P X) is available for "Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Brave, and Edge." But where is it for EDGE on a Mac? https://1password.com/downloads/mac/#browsers only shows Chrome, Firefox, Brave and Safari.

Also when I'm in EDGE and go to 1P Mini, I'm offered "Add 1P to MS Edge" (It doesn't say "1Password X") If I click that, I end up where I was and can't find any 1P extension for EDGE.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Aren't you able to install the extension in Edge from the Chrome Web Store? So this link should work and show you the extensions: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/1password?hl=en

• MHMertens
    MHMertens
    Community Member

Thank you @DenalB, appreciated. This worked, quite clumsy though, I first had to allow EDGE to install apps from the Chrome web store because Microsoft warns you heavily about doing so. (Also I had no idea that there was a Chrome web store, isn't it all Google Play store? Nevermind.)
    I had expected a more straightforward installation, fully explained on the extensions page at 1P, but it's the result that counts.

The extension reacts VERY slow though, borderline unusable, but that's a different problem.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

You're welcome @MHMertens . :+1:

This worked, quite clumsy though, I first had to allow EDGE to install apps from the Chrome web store because Microsoft warns you heavily about doing so.

I thought that Edge Chrome is using the Chrome Web Store already fully supported. :(
    But in Edge on the Microsoft Addons Page there is no legacy 1Password extension available, only 1Password X is there.
    https://microsoftedge.microsoft.com/addons/search/1password?hl=en

The extension reacts VERY slow though, borderline unusable, but that's a different problem.

Maybe the problem is that this extension is indeed for Google Chrome browsers only. I don't know... Let's hope there is an idea from 1Password Support. ;)

• MHMertens
    MHMertens
    Community Member

After TWO (!) further updates to EDGE I now have normal reaction speed of the extension.
    Year after year software gets more and more fragile, less well tested and the rest of it. Not a problem of 1Password alone of course, but crikey, I have work to do .....

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

After TWO (!) further updates to EDGE I now have normal reaction speed of the extension.

Sounds good! I'm happy that it works now. :)

Year after year software gets more and more fragile, less well tested and the rest of it.

That's like it is today and I think we have to live with it. :(

• Blake
    edited January 2021

@MHMertens

I'm glad to hear that updating to the latest version of Microsoft Edge cleared things up and you're back up and running!

Feel free to reach back out to us at any point in the future with any other questions you might have, we're here for you! 💙

This discussion has been closed.