WLAN sync

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: Upgrading from V6 to 7 issues.

Comments

• chrystalschronicles
    Options

Can I piggyback and ask a question here! I've been a 1Password member for years but I started with the basic sinking of the Primary Vault between an iPhone and my Macbook. When I signed up for a membership I never moved that. In fact, I kept it because I liked the idea of some of my more personal data being only on my phone and MacBook (not in a cloud).

I just got a new computer and I'm trying to create that same setup there. I thought I read somewhere that WLAN doesn't work with 1Password 7 but the option does still show for me to have a Primary Vault and select WLAN. However, when I go to my mobile device's primary vault, it doesn't see my computer.

I have two questions:

1. Is there a way for me to keep a small subset of my passwords locally synced (not in the "personal" vault in my teams account) but actually locally located?

2. If I can't connect my Primary Vault to my new computer with 1Password 7, how do I get the passwords out of the primary vault to the personal vault in my teams account?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chrystalschronicles! Welcome to the forum!

I have split your comment into a separate discussion so the original poster does not get notified of every message ;)

However, when I go to my mobile device's primary vault, it doesn't see my computer.

Can you please elaborate on this? What steps are you following exactly, and where do you not see the computer in the app?

Is there a way for me to keep a small subset of my passwords locally synced (not in the "personal" vault in my teams account) but actually locally located?

Yes: if you have your Primary vault in the 1Password app, you can keep a subset of your password there, and the rest in the Personal vault of your Teams account.

If I can't connect my Primary Vault to my new computer with 1Password 7, how do I get the passwords out of the primary vault to the personal vault in my teams account?

Do you have access to another device where you have both the Primary and the Personal vault? If so, you can move the items from one vault to another from that device:

Move and copy items

• chrystalschronicles
    Options

I think I figured it out! I needed to disable syn on my phone from the previous WLAN. I did that and then I was able to connect with my WLAN on my new computer. I see my "Primary Vault" now in the list of vaults. So I believe this is where the subset of my passwords can live! Is that correct?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Indeed, WLAN Server syncs between devices you've "paired" to use that feature -- a single server (computer) and one or more clients (mobile devices). So you'd need to have each client configured to sync with the current server, not the old computer they may have been syncing with previously.

However, 1Password memberships have sync built-in, and that's what's supported -- not WLAN Server, Dropbox, iCloud, etc. While it's entirely up to you, just keep in mind that going it your own way is very much a "your mileage may vary" situation, and you're on your own with that.

I'd recommend using the 1Password membership as intended, since you're paying for that anyway, so you not only don't have to deal with sync configuration (that's the main thing customers asked us for, and why we created the service in the first place, after all), but so you also get the added protection of the (128-bit, randomly-generated) Secret Key in addition to all the other security and convenience features of the membership -- all of which you only benefit from by actually using the account to store your encrypted (locally, with both the Secret Key and Master Password) data. Let us know if you have any questions. :)

This discussion has been closed.