Switching Macs - 1Password

Apple are taking back my troublesome Mac Pro tomorrow and I should be receiving a replacement in about a week. My original plan was to migrate everything to the new computer using Time Machine but I just wondered if there is anything particular I need to bear in mind as far as 1Password is concerned? With so much information stored in 1Password I don't want to face problems accessing passwords etc when setting up the new machine.

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    There shouldn't be any trouble, and AFAIK you're using Dropbox, so even if you started fresh on a new Mac, you would only need to install Dropbox, wait for tit to finish syncing, and then launch 1Password. Boom! :)
  • ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    Just to offer some feedback on this, after receiving the new Mac Pro today I ran through the migration process using Time Machine from an external drive and hit the first stumbling block immediately after starting when DropBox asked for the password to login, which it doesn't normally need, so I had to get this from 1Password on my other Mac.

In exactly the same way when I tried to start 1Password it demanded my Apple password because it was purchased from MAS and again I needed to obtain this from my other Mac. My point here is that I could have found myself in a sticky situation here had I not also had 1Password installed on another Mac.

Following on from this I thought I would look at Knox but found the images couldn't be opened because the sparse bundles cannot be recognised so there again there could potentially be real problems.

Most things seem to have worked well but I'm just going through it all one application at a time to see what works and it isn't the seamless migration I expected. I was surprised to find that my firewall was switched off by default as was filevault, both of which were previously activated. Also for some strange reason my OS had gone back to 10.7.2, even though I had been operating 10.7.3.
  • ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited February 2012
    As a further follow up it became fairly evident as I went on that the migration process using Time Machine wasn't very successful and I saw other problems such as Parallels refusing to start properly and issues with SpamSieve as well. Thankfully before sending away the old Mac I made an additional copy using SuperDuper! on a separate SATA drive, so I started up from that and found pretty much everything worked fine. From there the easiest thing to do was use SuperDuper! again to put everything on the new main drive.

On a side note those sparse bundles with Knox still have problems and cannot be recognised. It's late now but I'll take another look tomorrow.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    I'm sorry your experience with Apple's Migration Assistant has not been more positive. I never use it myself because of some of the issues you mention above. :S

I always do a clean install and only transfer over the information I require from a backup on an as-needed basis. In the case of 1Password, I simply install Dropbox, let it finish syncing, and then fire up 1Password as I mentioned above. This does require you to log into your Dropbox account. If you aren't syncing with 1Password on your iPhone to look up the Login there, you can always use 1PasswordAnywhere with the backup of your data file (located on your other Mac or external drive).

Restoring from a Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! clone is also a workable solution.

Please do contact us directly about the Knox issue. We may need to see some logs.
  • ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited February 2012
    Hi Khad,
    In the past I've always done a clean install because it appeared to make sense and to an extent it does, but in practice I spend ages installing apps and bringing over user data from the previous computer, so ultimately I lose a day or two just getting back to where I was and wondering if I've missed something important.

Thanks for the tip about 1PasswordAnywhere. I shall definitely investigate that and I'll send in the log for Knox as well to see if we can work out what is happening. I use Knox as a backup for original data that is then stored on DropBox, so in this instance I think I'm covered but had I stored everything directly inside those sparse bundles I might have been sweating now. The odd part is that a couple open just fine but the others can't be recognised.

Thanks

Ashley
    PS I'm frequently finding it quite difficult connecting to this forum as though the server is overloaded or there is DNS issue.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks for the update, and we look forward to helping with the Knox issue.

As far as the forum connectivity, I wonder if it is something particular to your location. I'm in here quite a bit (from LA) and have no troubles. Next time you notice trouble, you might check http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/forum.agilebits.com

You could also try this in the terminal:

traceroute forum.agielbits.com

• ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    It could well be a routing problem from my particular location but I've noticed it happens with a certain regularity and then a few minutes later everything is fine. In the meanwhile other sites seem to be OK and I can't remember there being a problem with the main site. It always seems to be the forum.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    khad wrote:
    . I never use it myself because of some of the issues you mention above. :S

I always do a clean install and only transfer over the information I require from a backup on an as-needed basis. In the case of 1Password, I simply install Dropbox, let it finish syncing, and then fire up 1Password as I mentioned above.

Thats also my preferred method never much like Migration assistant because of issues like mentioned here.
  • thightower
    thightower
    Community Member
    ashleyk wrote:

It could well be a routing problem from my particular location but I've noticed it happens with a certain regularity and then a few minutes later everything is fine. In the meanwhile other sites seem to be OK and I can't remember there being a problem with the main site. It always seems to be the forum.

I had a similar issue a while back using opendns servers. Consequently the issue has not shown itself in a few months. East coast US here.
  • ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    I'm using the DNS servers supplied by my ISP, which is one of the biggest in the UK with several million subscribers. It's just taken me several minutes of failed attempts before gaining access to the forum, however http://www.downforev...m.agilebits.com confirmed it was generally OK.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Oddly enough, as soon as I posted my reply above, I was not able to connect to the forums myself. A traceroute failed (as expected since I wasn't able to connect), but http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/forum.agilebits.com showed it was up. I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks for mentioning this.

Also, these forums are hosted on a completely different server from www.agilebits.com, so any connectivity issues on one are likely unrelated to the other.
  • ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    edited February 2012
    I've just spent 15 minutes trying to reach the forum with no luck and even tried it on another computer running Windows just to see if it was particular to this one computer but it's not. I was just about to run a trace route but then it came back.

234.gif

236.gif

237.gif
  • ashleyk
    ashleyk
    Community Member
    I've contacted support about Knox because that problem is ongoing with vaults that were only created yesterday now failing to be recognised.
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Thanks! We will follow up in private as soon as possible.
This discussion has been closed.