Feature request: Faster syncing between 1Password X and 1Password Desktop

Options
Bikr
Bikr
Community Member
edited December 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

My wife just had an issue where she generated a new password with 1Password X, but it took multiple minutes for it to show up in 1Password desktop. This caused confusion and in her attempt to figure it out and fix it, she almost lost the generated password! 😲 If I hadn't been watching over her shoulder, she probably would have.

I set her up with 1Password X as a trial since there are a few things about it that are easier than the legacy extension, especially for a non-keyboard-shortcut person like herself. But if it doesn't instantly sync with desktop, it just increases the risk of disparities and confusion. The average person doesn't look at the 1Password icon in the browser as being any different from the one in the Mac menu bar…but they are!

1Password X also has a few other shortcomings that I've listed in this post. For now we'll both be sticking to 1Password extension (desktop app required) (link) and hope that it'll be supported long into the future. Cmd + \ is our friend. :)

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.7 (70700015)
Extension Version: 1.22.3
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Bikr!

After creating this new item in the 1Password X browser extension, have you perhaps checked if the new item appeared right away on the 1Password.com website? I wonder if the sync was slow from 1Password X to the server, or from the server to the desktop app.

• Bikr
    Bikr
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

No, we didn't. We were too busy just getting signed into the site we needed. Though based on past experience, my guess is the 1Password website would have been up-to-date, but not desktop.

I've reported similar issues before, where 1Password desktop doesn't show a change made on another computer (also from desktop). I was told that locking/unlocking should force a sync, but I found even that doesn't always fix it. At times I've had to completely quit 1Password and relaunch it.

I still wish there was a refresh command (in all endpoints) to force a sync whenever I experience funkiness like this. It doesn't need to be in your face; a simple Cmd+R shortcut on desktop and pull-to-refresh gesture on mobile, would do it. But for some reason, I get resistance to this idea whenever I bring it up. 🤷‍♂️

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for your feedback, @Bikr! Of course, I can't promise anything, but I'm happy to share your feedback with my team. It's good to know what our customers would like to see in future versions.

If you do happen to come across this again and you have a few minutes to spare (I totally understand if you're in a rush and don't have the time, though), I'd be curious if the item made it to https://my.1password.com, like Ana mentioned. Basically, that'll tell us which 1Password client isn't syncing properly.

Happy holidays!

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#74

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

@kaitlyn, I can look into that for you in case the OP can't.

I've been experiencing (and reporting) the same failure of the already running desktop app to display changes made via 1PasswordX for over a year. In my case (others may be different) it's more of an annoyance than a serious problem, but it's something that really should be dealt with either way.

Let me know if you'd like to pursue this issue. I'm running Big Sur on MBP with latest stable versions of 1Password, 1PasswordX, and browser programs (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari). BTW, I don't run beta software of any kind, so if your investigation/resolution methodology involves such then please ignore my message.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hey @williakz ,
    Thanks for wanting to help!

When you reproduce this issue, can you please check if changing vaults in the desktop app causes it to sync? We've had some reports stating that changing the vault view in the desktop app (and/or locking and unlocking the desktop app) will force a sync. Here's how:

1. Have the desktop app open and save a new login with 1Password X in your browser.
    2. Check if the new login shows up in the desktop app.
    3. If it isn't, change the view to one of the other vaults and then switch back (e.g. if you're on the "All Vaults" view, switch to your personal vault, then switch back to All Vaults".
    4. Check if the new item is showing up now.

Let us know if that triggered a sync.
    Thank you!

ref: dev/apple/issues/-/issues/4835

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_yaron,

OK, for testing purposes, I created a CVS account using 1Password X in Chrome. Entered email for username as requested and accepted 1Password X's generated password. Got the notification that entry had been saved.

The desktop 1Password app already open and pre-positioned to 'C' entries (in a different Mission Control desktop display) did not change.

Quit (though not completely) 1Password in the other desktop display then reopened it (Menu bar icon, gear at upper right of resulting window, "Open 1Password" menu item). Still no CVS item in the Cs.

Switched from All Vaults view which shows entries in my vault named Main to my (unused and empty) Private vault, then back to All Vaults again. Voila! There was my new CVS item.

Hope this helps, let me know if you'd like additional info or testing.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for testing @williakz !
    This definitely fits the description of the issue our developers already have eyes on, so I've added your report to it.

It seems that certain network setups/equipment or 3rd party network traffic related apps might cause this hangup, but in any case switching vaults view or locking and unlocking the app will "force sync" on demand, if you require it.

Thanks again!

• williakz
    williakz
    Community Member
    Options

I sincerely doubt the cause is due to any user-configurable network setups as I've experienced EXACTLY the same no-sync problem over an extended time period using different machines running different versions of macOS configured differently connected by different routers in different ways to different carriers using different network monitoring apps (NO 3rd party ones!). Sounds like an "FM" explanation of the phenomenon to me. Let me know if you or the developers would like me to provide them further information or testing. (I recall once in the 1990s a major networking company actually bought my PC right off my desk in order to chase down some issue, now long-forgotten.)

Thanks for your time, @ag_yaron.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hey @williakz ,
    I definitely did not mean this possible explanation is our way of not trying to resolve this at all, my apologies if that’s what it sounded like :)

We explore any and all options on the matter and hopefully will have a more robust syncing experience regardless of users setup/network configuration.

Thanks for the willingness to help! Will definitely let you know if we need more logs or anything of that sort.

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron I don't know if it's the same issue, but I've been noticing that new logins created on my phone don't sync to the 1Password desktop app until I "Quit 1Password Completely."

For sync from desktop to iPhone, I have to launch the 1Password app before a new password shows up in autofill. That may be expected/reasonable behavior.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @benmattison ,
    Thanks for the info.

Have you tested my previous suggestion of switching vaults view in the desktop app instead of quitting 1Password completely? Does that not force sync?
    The mobile app is a different world and I don't think it is related to this issue, but thanks for mentioning it!

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_yaron Just created a test login on my phone... and it immediately synced to desktop without any intervention. 🤷‍♂️ But I will try the vault switch if/when the problem occurs again.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good :+1:

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_yaron I had an opportunity to try the vault switch—a new one-time password created on one Mac failed to sync to the desktop app/Safari extension on another Mac, which was disconcerting—and it totally worked, as soon as I selected another vault. Thanks.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for confirming @benmattison .
    I hope we will be able to improve this soon, and that the workaround I suggested will do for now if you ever need to "force sync".

Thanks again for testing :)

This discussion has been closed.