How do I set up Symantec VIP Access one-time password support in 1Password login info?

I previously had set up 1Password to work correctly with my One-Time Password for ETrade. ETrade uses the Symantec VIP Access app for generating the 6 digit one time password. When I got a new phone, I had to set up a new authenticator on ETrade. Now I can't figure out what the one-time password code is that I need to configure 1Password to generate the OTP. I've tried using the VIP credential, the VIP credential with 6 digit OTP appended, but these don't work and I get the "Invalid OTP Secret" error in 1Password. I don't see anywhere on ETrade to generate a QR Code. Any ideas?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 7.7
OS Version: OS X 11.0.1
Sync Type: 1Password vault
Referrer: forum-search:invalid OTP secret symantec vip

Comments

• Nhat_Nguyen
    edited November 2020

Hello @SL_SJ,

Currently, 1Password can only save OTP by scanning Setup codes to generate an otpauth:// URI. That being the case, there is a way to get the otpauth:// link and add it directly to 1Password after setting up 2FA with Symantec VIP Access. The process involves you to request a token from their VIP service, and we can't require users to go through all the hoops to get the link.

However, if you are interested, you can go here for the information on how to generate the link. After that, you can follow the steps here to add a One-Time Password custom field in 1Password, and it should work for you.

Open the 1Password app > Select your website > Edit > Scroll to Label > Add "One-time Password" in Label > Add the > otpauth:// link you get from the link above to "New field" > Select the "T" icon at the end > One-Time Password > Save.

• SL_SJ
    SL_SJ
    Community Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to successfully use the python-vipaccess utility to provision a new VIP Credential and generate the necessary otpauth URI. I used QREncode to generate a QR Code that could be scanned by the VIP Access App so it it available in the app too.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Be careful. That's unsupported, so they could break it (again?) at any time, and the result of that can be anything from an inconvenience to getting locked out of the account.

This discussion has been closed.