Problem updating from very old version (5.3)

Options
dbm2
dbm2
Community Member

Hi
I purchased 1Password in ~2014, at a time when I could install applications on my office computer. My company now restricts the ability of employees to install software, so I cannot "leapfrog" from 5.3 to the latest version of 1 Password.

1) Could I use the newest version of 1Password completely online, for example not install the app and sign into the cloud every time I want a password? What functionality would I have?

2) I tried starting to update from 5.4 to 5.4.3, etc, but the update said it found multiple versions of 1Password and wanted me to delete them. I did not want to delete anything without being able to sign into 1Password online so that I can be sure my passwords are safe somewhere other than my computer (see below). If I can get this to work, is this approach a workaround for not being able to install the latest version as a new app? That is, will I eventually get from 5.4 to the latest version?

3) I am not able to sign into the online 1Password because I cannot find my Secret Key. When I try the instructions at https://support.1password.com/secret-key/
I cannot see an area called "accounts" (please see attached image).

Thanks very much, sorry this is complicated

1Password Version: 5.3
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS 10.13.6
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• dbm2
    dbm2
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Sylath
    I appreciate the detailed response, that helps me fill in a lot of the pieces. I need some short term solutions and long term solutions - short term, I think I will start a new 1Password account on my iPhone ( which I do own) and use that as my record of passwords. I will lose the autofill function at websites, but this seems like the best workaround for the issues you raise. Re #1, I use 2-factor authentication at my most important sites, but I appreciate that I need a better long term solution

If I do purchase the latest version of 1Password for my phone, will I be able to transfer my current passwords to 1Password on my phone (and then, as you suggest, scrub them from my computer?)

Thank you

This discussion has been closed.