Correct extension for Mac with fingerprint ID?

Options
garyaustin
garyaustin
Community Member
edited December 2020 in Mac

I have an early 2020 MacBook Air with fingerprint ID. I recently switched from Firefox back to Safari but with Safari the IPW fingerprint ID never works. It will say that I can open with fingerprint but asks for my master password. It never takes the fingerprint, even if 1PW is already open. Often, pressing "Open 1PW" when it comes up in the website sign-in box or even pressing the icon on the toolbar does nothing. I have to bring it up from the dock. The extension for 1 PW that Safari says is installed is just "1 Password 7.7". I can't find any other Safari extensions. How can I get 1PW to work better on my MacBook and, in particular, get it to accept fingerprints?

1Password Version: 7.7
_Extension Version:
1PW 7.7
OS Version: Big Sur 11.1
Sync Type: Membership

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @garyaustin 👋

There's only one 1Password extension in Safari, so you almost certainly have the right one. I want to clarify, though, is 1Password asking for Touch ID and your fingerprint isn't accepted, or is 1Password not asking for Touch ID in the first place?

• garyaustin
    garyaustin
    Community Member
    Options

This seems to be fixed now. Hard to say if it asked for a fingerprint. At the point where I thought I should put it in, though, I did and it did not accept it. But I sent the same message I posed here directly to 1PW via email after a few days. Got two responses, one automated, which suggested closing and reopening both browser and 1PW. Which I did. And then I got an email reply from Kayla that suggested turning Touch ID on my Mac off and back on. Which I also did. One of those worked, because it seems to work fine now. Thanks much for the reply.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm glad to hear that, @garyaustin! This is more of general macOS advice rather than anything to do with 1Password specifically, but you'll have to wait for the system popup in the screenshot below to appear before placing your finger on the fingerprint scanner (well, you can still place it there, but it won't necessarily be read). I recently learned that after getting my first Touch ID Mac, so I figured I'd pass it along to you in case it ever comes up in the future.

This discussion has been closed.