Not syncing...again :(

Options
ericcovino1
ericcovino1
Community Member

I have this recurring problem where making a change on my ios device does not sync to my mac or if it does it takes multiple days.

I work from home, I'm generally always home.

On latest version of all os's, connected to wifi and ethernet on desktop (wifi constantly on desktop is non starter because I need my gig bandwith for work)

What could possibly be the problem?

I'm not updating via the ios extension...I've been sitting here for an hour with the app open on ios and mac...no sync, change was made about 9 hours ago.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ericcovino1
    ericcovino1
    Community Member
    Options

Oops sorry...

1Password Version: 7.7 7070016 on mac
    Extension Version: Latest on chrome
    OS Version: 11.1
    Sync Type: 1password for families

• ericcovino1
    ericcovino1
    Community Member
    Options

I should add, if I force quit completely 1password on mac and reopen it'll sync, but this is not a long term solution naturally.

I've been with 1password as a paying member since 2013, this year is the first year where any reliability doubts have crept into my head.

• Kev_
    Kev_
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

I have the same issue. My 1Password syncs with an iCloud Vault & when I change something on my iPhone it never syncs to my MacBook anymore.

I once waited 4 days (checked this in the Sync menu) but got tired of waiting and just forced quit 1Password. Restarted it & it then updated my password list.

Already tried reinstalling 1Password but no help. This issue started after upgrading to Big Sur, was no problem before.

I'm on Big Sur 11.1 & 1Password Version 7.7 (70700015).

• Zuano
    Zuano
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same problem. It synchronizes very slowly or not at all.
    At https://my.1password.com, it's up to date.
    macOS 10.15.7 Catalina 1Password 7.7 Premium, iOS 14.2 1Password 7.7

• kwmorrow
    kwmorrow
    Community Member
    Options

I have the same issue and narrowed it down to Big Sur. My Macs running Big Sur will sync when restarted and One password is opened for the first time. After that there is no sync to any of my Big Sur Macs. Old Mac Mini running High Sierra has no issues. If you go to the 1Password Helper menu and "Quit 1Password Completely" then restart 1Password it will sync. I logged a support message and first I got a bot and then a real person telling me to move to their cloud subscription. Now I have other users with same issue on Big Sur I can be a little more forceful in my next reply to support. We have to put some pressure on developers of an app we have been using for years. I for one do not want to have my personal data spread across multiple clouds which is why I use iCloud for syncing any app I use. No iCloud integration, no purchase.

• Zuano
    Zuano
    Community Member
    Options

I synced it via cloud and it still doesn't work.

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

I have one desktop (old system) and two laptops. They do not sync unless I quit completely. I am running Mojave on the laptops and High Sierra on the desktop. The laptop that is not used very often has not synced in 12 days. The laptop I am using now has not synced in 18 hours (I did a manual sync with a Quit). They should initiate a sync anytime one has to enter a master or touch password. I use Dropbox. Like others I am a long time user and this if the first time I have been concerned with my devices staying in sync. Please push this issue to the top of the queue.

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

How does one downgrade to 1P 7.6?

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

Time Machine to the rescue. Copy/Open did not seem to work on the old Mac. But I can live with that in order to have sync working. I guess I will need to watch for 7.8 to come out.

• Ben
    Options

Hi folks,

We're aware of a situation where some 1Password.com customers installations of 1Password for Mac are not receiving notifications of changes from 1Password.com. In these cases locking and unlocking 1Password or switching vaults should 'force' a sync. This is a bug we're hoping to address in a future update such that those steps aren't necessary.

In terms of 3rd party sync options, we're limited in the technical support that we're able to offer. With iCloud specifically, this guide contains all of the troubleshooting steps we're aware of:

If you're having trouble syncing with iCloud

As is mentioned in the guide, if the steps contained within do not resolve the issue, the way forward would be to move to a 1Password membership. Our team at support@1password.com would be best situated to assist you if you find yourself in that situation.

I hope that helps!

Ben

ref: dev/apple/issues#4835

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,

Actually, going back to version 7.6 on all 3 of my machines fixes the sync problem just fine. There is no need for trouble shooting -- fix the software. The 7.6 --> 7.7 broke the automatic syncing. Locking & unlocking does not force a sync. One must Quit 1PW Completely. Upon the next open of 1PW a sync will be done. I repeat, the upgrade from 7.6 to 7.7 broke the automatic sync. I think the 1 PW team should put out a warning message to their users so they do not end up with a vault having problems and put fixing the problem as a high priority.

sylate,

Thank you for the 7.6 pkg link.

• leesweet
    leesweet
    Community Member
    edited December 2020
    Options

Ditto all the above. Same issue on my new Mac Mini with current 7.7 software, I wasn't getting any new syncs to the Mac from Dropbox, and rebooted to clear it. Lol. Off to downgrade I go, and let me know when you fix it.

Edit: I am really sick and tired of the continual forcing us to get a membership. If you stop supporting Dropbox, you've lost another client after more than a decade. Dropping standalone vaults was bad enough since I only wanted a couple of passwords here, but was forced to load the whole thing on this machine. Very unhappy here.....

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member
    Options

The writing has been on the wall for years. AgileBits no longer has interest in standalone vaults, licenses, iCloud, Dropbox, or anything other than memberships. That is their prerogative. Getting frustrated and arguing about it seems counterproductive. You could make the same amount of progress by yelling at the wall. The choices presented are to use a membership or find a different password manager.

I resisted for over a year. 1Password 6 was working fine, until it didn't. The membership is actually quite good, and reasonably priced for what it includes. My family appreciates the ability to share items, and I don't have to think about if everyone has the right licenses to cover the new versions of the apps on everyone's devices. I wrote to support and they offered me a good deal to move over. I would've preferred not having a subscription? Yes; but fighting to swim against the current wasn't worth it.

The choice is yours, but those are the choices as far as I see.

• soshiito
    soshiito
    Community Member
    Options

I don't want to entrust my confidential data to the same company that supplies my password manager. If heaven forbid there is a security hole in 1Password my data is still safe if it is not stored on 1Password.com.

I don't think that is a good assumption. You're trusting their software with your data either way. If they fail to encrypt the data the way they've outlined that is problematic regardless of whom you sync with.

• SirLancaster
    SirLancaster
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. 7.7 broke Dropbox Sync.

• SirLancaster
    SirLancaster
    Community Member
    Options

AgileBits, any word on this?

• woodenbrain
    woodenbrain
    Community Member
    Options

How can we get the 7.6 version download? my iCloud sync on 7.7 is broken too. (Says last synced 3 days ago). Also, is there no "sync now" button or function??

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

woodenbrain,

sylate had posted the link, but his message is now missing. I wonder if you can PM him?

• woodenbrain
    woodenbrain
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. I couldn't found a way to PM on these boards. Here's a link I found to 1Password historical releases, which contains a version 7.6 download link.

Surely Agile won't remove that link, because doing so might encourage people to google for sketchy unofficial links, would they? Downloading from any source other than Agile would IMO be ill-advised for a password manager.

I admit I'm a little wary of downgrading, but if the problem persists that's what I'll do. Better if Agile fixes the bug.

• MikeV99
    MikeV99
    Community Member
    Options

That should work. The other option is to use the mini 1PW icon in the menu bar to Completely Quit 1PW on the desktop if changes were made on other devices. Also, making a modification to a login entry will also trigger a sync. It is a workaround, but it may not be an issue unless you are making a lot of changes to the 1PW items. Besides passwords, I use 1PW to manage almost all my historical data but even there I don't have that high a frequency of change. I routinely Quit Completely just to avoid an aging memory missing a change.

• Mike_W_UK
    Mike_W_UK
    Community Member
    Options

In response to "Team Member" - Ben's response (December 2020) - I have found that connecting or disconnecting my VPN (ExpressVPN) also triggers a sync. I am on BigSur and noticed my desktop 1Password app was not syncing - but it did immediately I closed the VPN connection. I have spent a day with ExpressVPN's support team trying to resolve the issue assuming it was a VPN issue. After finding that the synch did not happen even when the VPN was disconnected I realised it was not a VPN issue. However, this may help your software development bods - whatever happens when the VPN is connected or disconnected - is enough to trigger the sync. I look forward to an update with the bug fixed.

This discussion has been closed.