What HTML fields are used to autofill forms?

shyzer
shyzer
Community Member
edited December 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm having trouble identifying the HTML fields used to autofill forms. I interact daily with a website that uses the same two-step form with dropdown fields, but I can't get my 1Password Identities to link up correctly with the fields on the second page.

When I select my identity in 1Password, it correctly fills & inputs my first name, last name, and email addresses on the first page. However, when I click "next", I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get 1Password to also input the six fields for my company work details.

I've tried adding the information for just the first field "Company Size" to my Identity using the div class name, input name, input value, select name, etc. but none of them seem to work.

Thanks for any help on this! I fill out these forms probably 5-10 times a day and it's so frustrating making the same, exact clicks all the time!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.22.3
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @shyzer 👋

Great question! 1Password looks at either the htmlID or the htmlName (among other things) of a field and fills accordingly. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get 1Password X filling on the second page of the site you mentioned. Generally, we're able to fill text fields, but dropdown menus are slightly more troublesome to use with custom fields.

• shyzer
    shyzer
    Community Member

Hey @kaitlyn thank you so much for the reply! I'm happy to hear it wasn't just me having trouble getting this form to play well with 1Password :)

When it comes to the htmlID or the htmlName, which field is that tied to directly? For instance, here is the HTML from the first dropdown on the second page. Is it correct to say 1Password is trying to target the "company_size_id" name for the element?

<div class="company-size fieldset mb-4 mb-md-0">
                      <h3>Company Size</h3>   
                      <div class="form-group company-size">
                        <select name="company_size_id" class="form-control" data-placeholder="# of Employees">
                          <option></option>
                          <option value="14">1-4</option>
                          <option value="13">5-9</option>
                          <option value="12">10-24</option>
                          <option value="1">25-49</option>
                          <option value="2">50-99</option>
                          <option value="3">100-249</option>
                          <option value="4">250-499</option>
                          <option value="5">500-999</option>
                          <option value="6">1,000-2,499</option>
                          <option value="11">2,500-4,999</option>
                          <option value="10">5,000-9,999</option>
                          <option value="9">10,000-19,999</option>
                          <option value="8">20,000-49,999</option>
                          <option value="7">50,000+</option>
                        </select>
                      </div>
                    </div>

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@shyzer – Typically, we're looking for input in the HTML, but company_size_id is the only name for that field. I haven't had any luck filling this form, so I'll reach out to my team and see if they have any ideas. They may be out today/tomorrow, so I may not hear back until Monday.

• @shyzer,

Hi! My name is Jarek and I'm a part of the Extensions team here at 1Password 👋

I took a look at the form here and unfortunately it doesn't appear to be something that 1Password can understand how to fill. The website is using a custom implementation of dropdowns that isn't using the select HTML input type, which makes it difficult for other tools to figure out how to change the value of the dropdown.

As you point out, the page does contain select inputs, but they're not visible to the eye; they've been hidden in the page for accessibility reasons. I tried filling values into them, hoping that the site would copy those values back to the visible dropdowns, but sadly they don't appear to have implemented that.

Do you perhaps know of an email address I could use to reach out to the administrators of the site and see if they'd be willing to make a few tweaks to the page to better support filling via third-party tools?

This discussion has been closed.