1Password crashes when syncing to iPhone / iPad since latest update

Edwin
Edwin
Community Member
edited December 1969 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac
I have 1Password setup to sync with my iPhone and iPad. This has been working fine without problems for ages.

I opened 1Password last night and there was a notice to upgrade to the latest version (3.2.5). I installed this update without any problems.

But now syncing with the iPhone / iPad is broken. Here's how the problem shows itself:

- I open 1Password, enter my master password and select the iPhone in the left hand menu.
- I open the mobile version of 1Password on the iPhone, enter the password to unlock the application.
- Normally I have to wait a few seconds before 1Password on the Mac updates to show that the iPhone is available and that the most recent sync has just been completed. But now I wait a few seconds and I get the spinning rainbow waiting cursor in the 1Password application. The application has crashed and I have to force quit and open it up again.

No matter how many times I try, the application always crashes just after I open and unlock the 1Password application on the iPhone. Exactly the same problem occurs when I try and sync the iPad.

And as far as I'm aware, I haven't changed anything to break this (apart from upgrading to 3.2.5 which I did last night). As I said before, this was working fine and my last successful syncs were about a week ago when I guess I was using the previous version of 1Password on the Mac. I don't think there have been any recent updates to the mobile version of 1Password (I'm using the 1Password Pro apps on both devices).

Am I doing something wrong or is this a problem with the latest version of 1Password?

Comments

• MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Perhaps as a pre-step to what Stu suggested, since this just started happening with the 1Password Mac upgrade: I'd suggest that you replace the 1Password Mac application. To do this:

1. Download 1Password from our web site:
    http://agilewebsolutions.com/downloads
    Click on the "Download Now" button to the right of "1Password 3"
    2. Quit your web browser and 1Password, if it's running
    3. Open your Applications folder and drag 1Password to the Trash
    4. Install the new copy of 1Password you just downloaded
    5. Run 1Password and then your web browser

Your information is stored in a data file separate from the application, so it will not be harmed by this procedure.
  • Edwin
    Edwin
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thank you both for your replies.

I deleted the entries for the iPhone and iPad on the left hand menu, uninstalled the software and then reinstalled 1Password again with the latest download from your website. On the iPhone I then reset the database completely.

Then I tried to setup syncing between the iPhone and the computer. At the point at which the iPhone displays the codes which you need to type in on the computer, the 1Password application on the Mac did the same thing it was doing before, where it became unresponsive and the rainbow spinning cursor appeared. But this time I waited longer (probably around 1 minute) and eventually the window popped up on the computer asking me to enter the iPhone codes. Once I'd done that, the sync worked and all my passwords were transferred back to the iPhone.

Next I tried closing the applications on both the computer and the iPhone. I opened 1Password on the computer again, then opened and unlocked the application on the iPhone. Again at this point, the computer application froze with the spinning cursor and nothing obvious was happening. But after waiting for around 1 minute, the sync did happen and the application became responsive again.

I repeated everything with the iPad and the behaviour was exactly the same (both during setting up sync again and during subsequent syncs).

In the past, iPhone / iPad syncing has been very quick - a few seconds after unlocking the mobile application, the sync has happened. And the desktop app has certainly never become unresponsive like this before. As far as I'm aware, I've not changed anything with the network that would cause this. Can you think of anything that might be the cause of this ~ 1 minute delay?

I guess it's not so bad since my apps are actually syncing if I just wait, but it would be nice to work out why this delay has suddenly started occurring? Thanks.
  • MartyS
    MartyS
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Edwin wrote:
    Thank you both for your replies.

I deleted the entries for the iPhone and iPad on the left hand menu, uninstalled the software and then reinstalled 1Password again with the latest download from your website. On the iPhone I then reset the database completely.

Then I tried to setup syncing between the iPhone and the computer. At the point at which the iPhone displays the codes which you need to type in on the computer, the 1Password application on the Mac did the same thing it was doing before, where it became unresponsive and the rainbow spinning cursor appeared. But this time I waited longer (probably around 1 minute) and eventually the window popped up on the computer asking me to enter the iPhone codes. Once I'd done that, the sync worked and all my passwords were transferred back to the iPhone.

Next I tried closing the applications on both the computer and the iPhone. I opened 1Password on the computer again, then opened and unlocked the application on the iPhone. Again at this point, the computer application froze with the spinning cursor and nothing obvious was happening. But after waiting for around 1 minute, the sync did happen and the application became responsive again.

I repeated everything with the iPad and the behaviour was exactly the same (both during setting up sync again and during subsequent syncs).

In the past, iPhone / iPad syncing has been very quick - a few seconds after unlocking the mobile application, the sync has happened. And the desktop app has certainly never become unresponsive like this before. As far as I'm aware, I've not changed anything with the network that would cause this. Can you think of anything that might be the cause of this ~ 1 minute delay?

I guess it's not so bad since my apps are actually syncing if I just wait, but it would be nice to work out why this delay has suddenly started occurring? Thanks.

I have seen this 1 minute delay myself. I believe it was related to the DNS servers that I was using at the time. Please make sure that your Mac's Network Preferences is showing the expected DNS servers and if it's something in your control you may want to make sure they're working properly, or choose a different DNS provider. 1Password Mac is trying to lookup the ".local" name given for your mobile device and for some reason it will wait for a minute before giving up and going ahead. Usually DNS queries give up pretty quickly so I don't know why OS X in this case is using up a whole minute. Once we've called the OS X routines we're unable to get control back until it returns with a result of a failure -- that's why you get the spinning cursor.
  • Edwin
    Edwin
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks, that would make sense. I'll investigate and see if DNS changes fix the issue.
This discussion has been closed.