1Password won't fill in the password on the Optus Webmail Log In Webpage

Options

Hi Team,

For many years 1Password has never been able to fill in the password on the Optus Webmail log in webpage, i.e. https://webmail.optusnet.com.au/. I tried creating a new 1Password login from scratch but it still doesn't work. This issue exists in multiple browsers such as Microsoft Edge Chromium, Google Chrome and Firefox. If I save the password in Edge it will basically work. However the password isn't filled in immediately on arriving at the web page but it's filled as soon as I click on the LOGIN button.

I have a similar problem on my Mac in Safari, Microsoft Edge Chromium and Google Chrome. In Safari it's at least partially mitigated by the 1Password drop down menu in the password field.

If Edge is able fill in the password field, albeit only when the LOGIN button is clicked, I would hope that 1Password would also be able to do so somehow.

Do you have any way to solve this issue in 1Password?

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards
Protege5755.

1Password Version: 7.6.785 (Win)/7.7 (MacOS)
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 (Win&MacOS)
OS Version: Windows 10 (1909)/MacOs Catalina
Sync Type: 1Password Account
Referrer: forum-search:webmail

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @protege5755 👋

Thanks for bringing this up. I took a look at the HTML for the site you mentioned, and it looks like the password field changes upon clicking in it. The first field that's displayed (before clicking inside the field) has an HTML id of fake_pass. That field then gets hidden and the real password field is shown once you click inside of it. I'm not sure there's anything we can do in this case, unfortunately. We do try to tickle the field just right in order to mimic a keypress, but if a field is completely changing to a new field when it's focused, focus (clicking) will be required in order to fill the field.

I also want to make sure we're seeing the same behavior, because I'm able to fill the password field as soon as I click inside of it. Here's a screen recording do you know what I mean:

Is that the same behavior that you're seeing in Safari?

Without being in Safari, you'll have to fill twice, so you'd hit Command/CTRL + \, then click (or tab) inside the password field, then hit Command/CTRL + \ again once the password field has changed to the actual field.

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any questions!

• protege5755
    protege5755
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @kaitlyn,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I can confirm that Safari on my Mac behaves in the same way as demonstrated in your screen recording.

The work around you suggested seems to work with Google Chrome on the Mac but doesn't work when trying to do the same in Google Chrome or Firefox on my Windows PC.

I was hoping that there might be a way around this issue in 1Password as Microsoft Edge Chromium does appears to be able to fill in the password field once you click in that field or when simply clicking on the LOGIN button.

I did find another workaround that gets around this issue in these use cases. I tried the "Disabled Access View" option (which is really the mobile site version of webmail) and found that 1Password will work as expected. It gives you a different webmail experience, i.e. the mobile view, but there is a "Desktop Version" menu option that switches it back to the normal webmail experience.

Is the behaviour of this webmail login page very unusual and thus unlikely to be addressed in a future version of 1Password?

Kindest Regards
    Protege5755

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited January 2021
    Options

@protege5755 – As of right now, 1Password can't fill hidden fields. I have a feeling us filling hidden fields would cause more harm than good, but it's definitely something to think about. Perhaps there's a way in the future we could tell a hidden field that should be filled from a hidden field that shouldn't be filled. In the meantime, you may have a better experience with 1Password X in Chrome. That's our newest extension, and it contains the inline menu, so the filling experience will be more like Safari (which is at least improved).

I hope you had a Happy New Year!

• protege5755
    protege5755
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @kaitlyn,

Thanks for the tip. I've heard about 1Password X but haven't tried it. I'll look into trying that option as soon as I have a chance.

Thanks for your assistance in troubleshooting this issue.

Also hope you had a Happy New Year.

Kindest Regards
    Protege5755

• Hey @protege5755. Do give us a shout if/when you give 1Password X a go and have any questions there. In the meantime, on behalf of Kaitlyn, you're very welcome. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.