1Password 7.7 is thoroughly unreliable on the Mac -- fed up

odysseus
odysseus
Community Member
edited December 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm sick of the unreliability of 1Password 7.7 on the Mac. All of a sudden, I can't get 1P to appear properly in login fields in the latest version of Brave using the 1PasswordX extension. Have tried quitting and relaunching 1P mini, relaunching the browser, etc.

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 1.22.3
OS Version: 11.1
Sync Type: 1P

Comments

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020

@odysseus

I have moved your question to the 1Password X section, which seems to be the root of the issue you are experiencing.

1Password X does not communicate with the 1Password mini like the companion app extension. I believe you may be using the old 1Password shortcut command + \ See if the shortcut for 1Password X works better for you. Shift + Command + X

Additional 1Password X shortcuts can be found here.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

Nope. Shouldn't the 1P icon appear when the user merely clicks in the field? That's what I'm reporting.

• @odysseus

Please quite Brave completely, and then completely quit 1Password. The button appears in my version of Brave. I did have to restart both to get it to appear after the latest update.

Look for our helper in the menu bar near the WiFi indicator and the clock. Right-click on the helper and select quit 1Password completely. Wait a few seconds and then open 1Password from the Dock or the Applications folder.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member

Is there an order in which one must restart both? Following your steps didn't help.

• ag_tommy
    edited December 2020

@odysseus

No. I typically quit 1Password first and then my browser. All that should need to be done is to quit both. That will allow communication to reset. If that fails you might try restarting the Mac.
    I am also using Brave Version 1.18.70 Chromium: 87.0.4280.101 (Official Build) (x86_64) on Big Sur.

I gave it a try in 1Password X beta and 1Password X. If you're still having trouble, please let us know. One of our extension team members may be able to assist you with more in-depth troubleshooting.

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member

Restarting my Mac fixed the problem. Thanks.

Big Sur (even 11.1) is still rather buggy, isn't it?

• I am hopeful most of the issues can be resolved soon. So far, I have had better results with 11.1 than I had with 11.0.1

• sporkmanx
    sporkmanx
    Community Member

Same here, between the weird behavior where it's creating login-less passwords in all browsers, the extreme lag in syncing on the phone, and now the exact problem this person is reporting with Brave (clicking mini gives a "get the extension" message, clicking the icon in Brave does nothing), I'm seriously considering going to another product. Feels like 1Password is going in the "worse with each version" direction, such a shame.

• @sporkmanx

Have you tried the steps above?

1. Completely quit both Brave and 1Password.
    2. Restart the Mac.

A more in-depth set of troubleshooting steps are listed here.

• sporkmanx
    sporkmanx
    Community Member
    edited December 2020

Same. Quit both, restarted, reinstalled the extension.

Something is so clearly broken, I'd really hoped that with the extra cash this company made when moving to a sub model we'd see some of that redirected to testing and onshore support.

• sporkmanx
    sporkmanx
    Community Member

Same behavior in Chrome and Firefox, cool stuff. Works in safari.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@sporkmanx – I'm worried there's more than one thing going wrong on your system, so I think our best bet will be to see a diagnostics report from your computer. Would you mind sending me one via email?

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/117656/1password-7-7-is-thoroughly-unreliable-on-the-mac-fed-up
    • Your forum username: sporkmanx

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• @sporkmanx

Thanks for sending in that report. I have located it, we will send a response to your email as soon as we can.

ref: PZS-11499-821

• sporkmanx
    sporkmanx
    Community Member

I forgot to revisit this after sending. This part never happened after I sent it: "You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number".

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @sporkmanx ,
    It took a little while but I see you got that support ID number and also a reply from our support. :+1:

• sporkmanx
    sporkmanx
    Community Member

Yeah sadly my OS-X version is not supported, but for whatever reason there's no runtime tests/checks to tell the end user that.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to hear that @sporkmanx .
    1Password 7 requires Mac OSX 10.13 and higher (which is still rather outdated), so if you have an earlier operating system, I strongly recommend you upgrade it as it is quite a security risk to keep using such an old version, regardless of 1Password.

If you can't update your OS for any reason, the only other option would be to use 1Password X in Chrome/Firefox. 1Password X is not reliant on the desktop app and only requires that your browsers are up to date. It will work directly with your vaults in a 1Password.com account instead of the local vaults in your desktop app, so it does require a membership account, which you can sign up for a free trial here: https://1password.com/sign-up/

However, I do urge you to update your operating system as soon as possible :)

This discussion has been closed.