Why does Command-H cause 1Password 7 to appear from empty desktop?

Options
lawesterman
lawesterman
Community Member

MacOS 11.1, 1Password 7.7 running but hidden, no other applications windows open, Finder showing on top menu bar. Hit Command-H and the 1Password 7 window opens. Hit Command-H again and 1Password 7 window closes. For continuing amusement, keep hitting this key combination and watch the window appear and disappear. Is this behavior desired and expected?

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 11.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Command-H causes 1Password 7 to appear from empty desktop

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @lawesterman 👋

That's a good question! The Command-H keyboard shortcut hides the windows of the front app, according to Apple's keyboard shortcut guide.

As for our own documentation, you can find it in the 1Password 7 menu bar drop down as shown here:

If you have any other questions, let me know.

• lawesterman
    lawesterman
    Community Member
    Options

So both the Apple documentation and the 1Password menu say that Command-H causes 1Password to hide. So why does it cause 1Password to appear?

• Ben
    Options

That is a fair question @lawesterman. I don't know the answer unfortunately. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that is likely not expected behavior. That said, I'm not able to reproduce it on my system. Is this happening after a fresh reboot of the system? If I'm looking at my desktop with no windows open, I see Finder in the menu bar in the upper left. If I hit ⌘H I just get the system 'bonk' sound. 1Password does not appear.

Please let me know.

Ben

• lawesterman
    lawesterman
    Community Member
    Options

Are your conditions the same - OS X 11.1, 1Password 7 v 7.7, 1Password7 running with an open window? If 1Password 7 is not running, I got the 'bonk' sound as well, but I use a mail filter called SpamSieve and the top menu shows SpamSieve when I hide the Finder window, even though SpamSieve has no open windows and does not support the Command-H hotkey combination.

• Ben
    Options

Are your conditions the same - OS X 11.1, 1Password 7 v 7.7, 1Password7 running with an open window?

Yes indeed. If I launch 1Password so that it has a window, hide it with ⌘H so that I'm viewing my desktop (Finder is in the menu bar), pressing ⌘H just gives me a bonk.

but I use a mail filter called SpamSieve and the top menu shows SpamSieve when I hide the Finder window, even though SpamSieve has no open windows and does not support the Command-H hotkey combination.

I'm not entirely sure I follow. Are you saying this behavior with 1Password only occurs when SpamSieve is running? What is the relationship here? If SpamSieve is quit completely does this problem occur?

Not to get too far off-topic, but for what it's worth, Apple's Human Interface Guidelines list ⌘H as an "expected keyboard shortcut." Might be worth sharing with the developers of SpamSieve. :)
    https://developer.apple.com/design/human-interface-guidelines/macos/menus/menu-bar-menus/

Ben

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

I can reproduce this once.

Have a few apps open, with `Password open as well. I'll choose Firefox, and do a Hide Others, leaving only Firefox open. A ⌘-H will now hide Firefox, and bring 1Password forward. I can replicate this with the few non-Apple apps I've tried.

Finder won't allow hiding all apps, and it seems that 1Password is ahead in the stacking order of Finder, so the ⌘-H brings 1Password forward when I hide Firefox (or Discord, or if I quit Spotify, etc.).

I can't get the toggle behavior the OP mentions, but this is likely due to the specifics of some app on the system.

• lawesterman
    lawesterman
    Community Member
    Options

I'm sorry to disagree, but Finder will definitely allow me to hide all apps. If for example I have just Firefox open and hit Command-H the desktop appears.
    By the way, one more observation on behavior. If I boot into Safe Mode and try this test, when just 1Password 7 is open the 1Password->Hide 1Password menu option is grayed out, and hitting Command-H causes a flash of the entire screen but does not hide 1Password. Otherwise the described behavior with SpamSieve running causes the 1Password and Finder windows to alternate with repeated Command-H keystrokes.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@lawesterman ,

There is always one app in the macOS foreground - you cannot hide all apps, having no foreground app (which would mean no menu bar). The macOS will allow you to hide the current app, or all hide other apps but the current app, as part of the standard menu system (under each app's first menu). Finder isn't allowing you to hide apps - it's just an app (with some other special behavior), and it gets the same standard macOS menu items.

Finder is always running, and when you hide any non-Finder app when it is the only app not hidden, Finder will always become the new front most app.

Hiding apps not only makes their windows and menu bar hidden, but it also removes the app from the ⌘-Tab app cycling list.

All that said, I don't doubt that you are seeing the oddity of ⌘-H and the toggling of 1Password like you describe. Ben and I just haven't been able to reproduce it so that the 1Password folks can reproduce it.

This discussion has been closed.