Editing an entry - the password shown isn't the right password

When I edit an entry, the password shown appears to be some kind of hash - I can't see the actual password until I retype it into the field. Is there a way to prevent this behaviour? Sometimes I need to see the actual password!!

1Password Version: 1.22.3
Extension Version: Chrome
OS Version: Windows 10 64
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:Editing an entry - the password shown isn't the right password

Comments

• Hey @DrDca. Could you walk me through the steps you're taking exactly? And what do you mean by hash in this particular context?

• DrDca
    DrDca
    Community Member

Sure. From Chrome, click on the 1Password icon
    1) find an entry to edit
    2) click on "edit"
    3) the website https://my.1password.ca/vaults/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (where xxxx is a random appearing set of characters, presumably selecting the entry I chose to edit
    4) Click on the password field or on the key symbol
    5) the characters shown are NOT the password.
    If I replace them with the correct password, that appears to hold across repeated edits.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @DrDca ,

You don't need to click on "Edit" in order to view a password. Here's how to do so more easily:
    1. Open Chrome.
    2. Click the 1Password extension to open it and select a login.
    3. Instead of clicking on "Edit", simply hover over the password field, click the arrow on the right side of the password and select "Reveal".

What you are describing above is actually changing the password to a new one (with 25 characters long new password by default, which I think you might have mistook as a hashed version of the password).
    Don't click the key icon when you're in edit mode, as this will generate a new password.

• DrDca
    DrDca
    Community Member

Thanks - yes, I have been using that method to view the password - it just puzzles me that when I edit an entry and click on the password field (not the key) I don't get the current password!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

I'm not quite sure how you are seeing that @DrDca .

Here's how I'm testing:
    1. Save a new test login on a random website (e.g. https://fill.dev/form/login-simple) with a password "TestPassword".
    2. View the password in 1Password X - it shows the correct password.
    3. Edit the item and open it in a new tab, then click the password field while in edit mode and its still the same password.

Are you doing anything different?

• DrDca
    DrDca
    Community Member

That’s what I do but when I click the password field I get a random appearing set of characters —I don’t see the password.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

@DrDca Any chance you can save a new test login somewhere and grab some screenshots or a video of what you are seeing?
    If you prefer to do it privately, we can do that via email, just send it to support+extensions@1password.com with a link to this forum discussion and a short description.

• DrDca
    DrDca
    Community Member

Sure -- thanks for your patience with me! I'll do it shortly.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Take your time @DrDca :+1:

• DrDca
    DrDca
    Community Member

Goodness - are you still up? It's 1:30am here! :-)

• DrDca
    DrDca
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

So this is interesting - I've discovered (in looking through for an innocuous login) that the vast majority of my entries are just fine. This one, however, exemplifies the issue -- In the first shot, I've clicked on the password field. In the second shot, I've selected "Edit" and clicked on the password field!

The password field should read something else altogether, of course!

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

It's 11am where I'm from @DrDca :)

I've removed the screenshots you've put here as they contained some personal/sensitive info. Keep in mind this is a public forum.
    The screenshots both showed the exact same password though - both while in edit mode and when just revealing the password. It is also great to hear that you only experience it on a specific login item and not in all of them. That narrows it down.

When you reveal that login item's password in 1Password X (not in our web app), do you see the same password there?

• DrDca
    DrDca
    Community Member

Thanks, yes I do. (I figured you'd be quick on that removal -- thanks!)

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

In that case, this might be a particular website that implements some strange javascript in the password field and alters the characters you type in as a "security measure", so 1Password picks that up instead of the actual password you typed in.

In any case, 1Password functions correctly, records whatever the page contains and shows the same password everywhere in our apps/extensions, so there's no immediate issue with 1Password here from what I can tell.

Can you send me the website's URL so I can investigate the login page?

This discussion has been closed.