1Password field drop down on Safari not appearing in Firefox?

Hello,

In Safari, when I single left-click in a login field, the drop down appears with 1Password.
On the same Macbook, when I single left-click in a login field in Firefox, 1Password does not engage. I have to do the keyboard shortcut to activate 1Password.

Is there a way to mimic Safari's 1Password behaviour in Firefox?

Thank you

1Password Version: 7.7
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90 (firefox)
OS Version: 10.15.7
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @DeeEye ,

You'll actually want to use a different extension in Firefox in order to mimic Safari's behavior. That other extension is called 1Password X, and its the origin from which we brought that inline menu into Safari: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

Install 1Password X in Firefox and enjoy the inline menu experience in its fullest :)

• DeeEye
    DeeEye
    Community Member

Thanks for the response. I use the 1Password 7 license, not monthly service subscription. Can I still use 1 Password X? Reading the differences between the two it appears as if X is for subscription accounts only?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @DeeEye ,

Indeed, 1Password X requires a subscription membership as it works directly with a 1Password.com account's database and not with local vaults on your computer, so a standalone license won't help here.

You can sign up for a free trial to see how it works if you'd like: https://1password.com/sign-up/
    Let me know if you have any further questions.

• DeeEye
    DeeEye
    Community Member

That’s pretty disappointing. Not keen on paying for a subscription service hence I paid for the one time license fee. How come the drop down behaviour is different for safari vs Firefox anyway?

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Hey @DeeEye ,

We released 1Password X a couple of years ago as a solution for Linux and other operating systems users, since they don't have a native 1Password desktop app and therefor couldn't use 1Password.
    1Password X works entirely in the browser so it doesn't require a desktop app. We also introduced that inline menu (the drop down behaviour) in 1Password X back then, which was a huge hit and people from all platforms started using it regardless of the desktop app.

We knew that was the future of 1Password, and recently we managed to get that behaviour into Safari as well, because there's no 1Password X for Safari. Firefox and Chrome users can already enjoy that behavior with 1Password X (and could have for a very long time).

Safari is quite unique in how it behaves with extensions, which required us to do some development magic to bring that inline menu there, and that is why it took so long to do it. So now Safari users can also enjoy the 1Password X experience even though there's no 1Password X for Safari.

I hope that clarifies the situation. I understand that you have paid for a license for 1Password 7, if you contact our support they might be able to help you with that so you can migrate/convert the license to a membership account. Feel free to email them at support@1password.com :)

• DeeEye
    DeeEye
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_yaron fair enough and thanks for the thorough response. Regards

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Glad I could help @DeeEye .
    We're here if you have any further questions :)

This discussion has been closed.