How to setup another authenticator app for two factor?

xantari
xantari
Community Member

Hi,

I need to be able to use my phone or my wifes phone for two-factor authentication.

I was able to successfully setup my wifes phone, but can't figure out how to add another two factor authentication option for my phone?

Am I doing something wrong?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

I can't see a way of having two different authenticator apps. I think you'll need to regenerate the authenticator app QR code and scan it with both phones at the same time.
    Either turn-off two factor authentication and turn it on again; or click on Replace next to the Authenticator App in the web interface.
    Delete the old code from your wife's phone and scan the new QR code with the apps in both phones. Check they give the same 6 digit code before entering it into the web interface.

• xantari
    xantari
    Community Member
    edited January 2021

Turns out you can’t do the two phone scan route either in Microsoft Authenticator app as it will overwrite the entry for my other 1Password account.

I went ahead and ordered two Yubikey 5’s as an alternative / secondary way to do two factor if my phone is lost, destroyed, replaced.

Those scenarios are what worried me about enabling two factor..

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Sounds like a good plan.

I use Authy and a pair of Yubikeys. Authy allows you to share 2FA codes across previously authorised devices and so by authorising 2 or 3 devices you can protect yourself against losing 1 or 2 of them. Alternatively you can use something like Google Authenticator and scan the QR codes on more than one device. Or choose the manual code option and print out the code to keep somewhere safe.

• It looks like you all have this covered. :chuffed:

I use the scan the code on multiple devices technique myself. The manual code option is another great suggestion.

• xantari
    xantari
    Community Member

Thanks for the additional suggestions. Will check those out.

This discussion has been closed.